Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about smoking fish

Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The results of my fish cooks have turned out pretty well, but there always seems to be a little foam type residue that develops on my filets, especially salmon. I usually just wipe it off, but I either wipe off some of the rub or the foam prevents the filet from browning in that particular spot. Anyone know how to prevent this? Would turning the filets help?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    BamaBob, my understanding is that is some of the fish oil coming to the surface that coagulates to give this "globule" appearance. I normally just pick it off with a knife but I have found that by flipping the fish it seems to drop off or burn off. I have also left it on and find that it does not seem to affect the taste although it does affect the appearance.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    BamaBob,[p]At the last minute, brush the fish with a little soy sauce, using a basting brush. The oil goes away.

• BamaBob,
    Are you using the farm raised stuff you buy in the store? I had the same experience this weekend, and my theory is that it might be fattier than the fresh caught variety. I am probably wrong, but it sounds good anyway..

• BamaBob,
    Try coating the filet with salt about 12 hours before you plan to smoke the fish. This will cause a 'tack' on the filet and once you add the seasonings and begin the slow smoking process, you will find very little if any of the tan goo you are experiencing.[p]Hope this helps for next time.
    Banker John