Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Houston BBQ joints

PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in Conroe, Texas (North of Houston) visiting our son. Anyone have suggestions on BBQ places to try their menu?

Comments

• Pappa's BBQ has bought up most of the BBQ joints in Houston. Actually, they have pretty decent BBQ. I know of one on I-45 around the Woodlands area, so it isn't far from you (there might even be one in Conroe).

Thelma's BBQ has a great reputation. I've eaten there and liked it. If you google them, it gives their old location, which burned down. The new address is:
    3755 Southmore Blvd, Houston, Texas 77004

I remember hearing about a black church near Huntsville that had great BBQ. Don't know if they still do it, but it might not hurt to check them out.

Good luck. For really outstanding BBQ, you need to make a pilgrimage to Lockhart, Texas (world famous).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• If I was going to be home tonight I could open the Chicken Ranch up to customers. We're about 15 miles down the road from you. The 'Girls' need something to do.

But alas, it's the night of the infamous Company Christmas Dinner and we will be gone. I'm just hoping the scotch doesn't spur me into enjoying myself.

There's a few places in Conroe that should have good BBQ. I know of a couple on 107 west of I-45. But it will not be the same as cooked on the Egg. I'd call a couple of neighbors and ask them their opinion as to which is best in the area.

Welcome to the area. Sure wish we could offer better weather.

Spring "Top Ranch Hand" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • I went to Vernon's Kuntry Bar-B-Que a few months ago, and I enjoyed that. It's off 105. It's a local place, not a chain restaurant. It gets packed during peak hours though, so be aware of that. (I have family friends that live up there, and I visit them about once a month.)

http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/vernons-kuntry-bar-b-que-conroe-225849
  • I seem to recall eating there and thinking we would be back. Apparently we did not go back. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, I just noticed that I said "107" instead of "105". My bad.

Also, Pit Masters at Rayford/Sawdust Road (just one block off I-45 in the Woodlands) is good. Small place but the guy seems to know his stuff.

Spring "Eat'n Restaurant Steak Tonight" Chicken
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Come on up 45 to FM 830. Go West on 830 about 4 miles to Texans BBQ. Small Mom and Pop place that has great Q along with great gumbo. Has a baked potato casserole that is fantastic. Only open till 4 on Sat. then closed till Wed. Very, very casual to say the least but great country BBQ.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Probably Too late but McKenzies right there in Conroe is my "go to" place for ribs. The best around!
  • If you make it in to town, you might try the Goode Company BBQ on Kirby.

And for the best, if you make it to Galveston, try Leon's BBQ on Broadway around about 58th Street (give or take a few blocks). It is a fairly dumpy place but the BBQ has always been really good.
  • Ditto, Goode and Company

Try the Jalepeno Cheese bread.