Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about organizing an EggFest

Options
Magnus Viridis Ovum
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are a BGE dealer and considering hosting an EggFest up here in Michigan next Summer.

We have been approached by an event organizer who is promoting a music festival and wants us to co-locate the EggFest and run them concurrently.

I have questions for anyone who has organized these types of events in the past. Specifically about how the county health departments have licensed the cooks.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    egg fest cooks are not licensed as they are not selling [or providing] to the public.. egg fest is registration only and that food is not to be passed out to the general public just egg fest folks. just like kcbs events, we share food with each other but not with the public. there are licensed vendors to provide food to the general public..
    our local health department wants the food tables under a canopy at the pa eggfest.
    kcbs requires a 3 tub hot water wash station one soap one clorox and one clean rinse.
    i think you should contact the health department directly
    good luck
    bill
  • EggMii
    EggMii Posts: 30
    Options
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    Where and when in Michigan? Us folks in northeast Indiana would welcome an Eggfest in our area. Count us in.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Not exactly true Bill, a number of the fests I've been to have been advertised to the public and they pay to get in and sample the food. I'm just guessing that no health departments are contacted. -RP
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Not sure a MI eggfest would be any closer to you than the one in June in Peoria, IL and the September one in Oswego, IL near Chicago.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • We are on Lake Michigan near Grand Rapids. We are planning for the July time frame.
  • Thanks Bill.

That could preclude us from opening it up to the public as part of the concert.

Health Department regulations would prevent private amateur cookers from participating as each would require a license. If we set it up to comply with HD requirements, it just wouldn't be an EggFest. It'd be a bunch of burgers and hot dogs cooked on Eggs.

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    emphasis County, meaning you if you want the ONLY answer that matters to you, you will need to contact the Health Dept. in your county for your local food regulations. They might not have a lot of rules, especially if you are not selling the food.

Otherwise I am sure the masters of how to make an eggfest fun and entertaining and how to pull one off logistically are on this board a plenty, and are willing to helpout. I have only been to one Eggfest, OKC last year and had a blast.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    You have email...not every eggfest is limited, nor is a fee charged. I'll explain ours
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks for the advice, links and direction - I'll follow up next week.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sometimes it's just better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    Options
    We are planning on one of the Illinois fest, but we'd make the trek up to Grand Rapids as well.
    Thanks,
    RJ
  • cb
    cb Posts: 27
    Options
    I agree it is depends on your city and county code.. my city has strict codes and permits. Contact your city hall and county health department as you plan... basically it involves getting the plans in writing to them to sign off on a visit on the day of the event.

Your event planner should also be involved in this step since it falls under their total event plan.

Great idea music and eggers!