Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breasts \'n Butts

Options
KenInMemphis
KenInMemphis Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bet that subject got some attention! Sorry to disappoint but it's probably not what you think.

I was tasked this Thanksgiving with cooking 2 turkey breasts and 2 pork butts for a family gathering of 35. Although all would fit on my large egg, after some research I decided the cooking times / temperatures weren't compatible with doing all 4 at once on the egg. Up to the attic to drag out my old trusty Mr. Meat electric smoker for the butts; the egg was reserved for the birds. Around 10 P.M. the night before I put the butts in the smoker over a pan of water plus a bottle of my home brew (Vienna Lager). Threw a few home-grown hickory chips on and forgot about it for a few hours. Meanwhile, the breasts were brining (a gallon of water, 1 cup of kosher salt, 1 cup of brown sugar, half cup of honey). Set the alarm for 3 A.M. and went to bed. Up at 3, I fired up the egg, put the plate-setter on legs up, pulled the breasts from the brine (total brining time of 24 hours) turned them meat-side down on my foil-covered V-rack, and covered them with strips of bacon:

DSC02081.jpg
Let egg temp stabilize at 325, then put the breasts on over a pan with another bottle of the lager. Threw some more hickory chips on the electric smoker and on the egg. About 3 hours later, the turkeys were looking good:

DSC02083.jpg

Took the turkeys off and double-wrapped them in heavy foil, put them in an ice chest, then moved the butts to the egg to boost the temp just a tad:
DSC02090.jpg

Removed the butts and gave them the double-foil wrap treatment, then into the ice chest with the turkeys for the 2 hour trip to the scene of the party. Upon arrival, I unwrapped and sliced them all just before serving time. Got rave reviews with very few leftovers!

Comments