Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking With Numbers

Options
UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've bragged about my new BGE so much that everyone at work has decided I am smoking pork butts for our Christmas Party this year. I've never cooked for a big crowd, so what size pork butt would everyone recomend I get to feed 12-15 people (all hungry adults)?

Thanks!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    8-9 lbs will work, but as long as you have the Egg going do two, leftovers are a good thing. -RP
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Well, if you figure a third of a pound per person, and a 40% weight loss during cooking, 15 people comes out to just over 8 lbs. So one big butt should do the job. I usually have to go the the butcher for those, as the grocery usually only has 5 lbers. But two 5 lbers would be good...leftovers are nice.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    yeah, what he said
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I agree with Randy...do 2...you will thank us later.... B)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    If you have a Sam's Club near you, they sell non-injected butts in 2-packs. You can pick through and find different weights. Pricing is usually pretty good, too.

All our grocery stores sell pre-packaged butts and in the fine print it will say they have from 3-12% injected "stuff" to "enhance the flavor" - RUN from these!
  • UKBradC
    Options
    I'll have to check out Sam's Club. The local Kroger's have told me they don't carry pork shoulders so I've been going to the local meat market.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Try a local butcher as well as Sam's. A lot of times the butchers get them to cut them up for country style ribs. My gets them whole and cuts them to whatever size I ask.

2 8lbs will work fine. Maybe grease them with a fatty or a few moink balls.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    you really need to be careful with the local grocers, they can actually remove the small print and sell it how they please under their own label. the ones around here remove the hormel packaging and sell it under there own label in a package that gives you the idea its fresh :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Brad,

Strange, as both local Krogers carry Boston Butts as well as the picnic hams, which are the other piece of the shoulder. Unfortunately the Krogers have "Moist & Tender" brand which is injected with sodium phosphates, etc. I checked at our Brookshires and their only butts are from Hormel and are also injected. No local butcher shops nearby except a boutique-style one that sells at outrageous prices (wanted $4.69 per lb. for fresh turkeys at Thanksgiving) ! :woohoo: :woohoo:

I buy my butts at Sams. I also buy their baby backs by the case for a good price.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I know the butts my butcher has are the standard cyrovacpack type. No injections, just blood! It is the same I buy at restaurant depot, but sometimes I wanted it cut to a certain size so I just pay the extra $2 and go to him.

There is another option, finagle yourself a restaurant depot card and get the bone in bb there. Last time I checked it was like $0.94lb. I only buy them when they are almost identical though because i hate when butts finish too far apart
    tim