Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL for Sale -- Ottawa

Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone at work pointed me to this add:

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/10581768

I'm not sure that the price fits into Bubba Tim's green book and I doubt the lifetime guarantee is transferable.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Would you be better served with 2 larges and for sure the warranty...........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I agree. I already have a large and my second one will probably be the same size so I can use my current plate setter and other accessories. My colleague at work is interested only because he is dreaming of owning an egg.

Tom

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• He's asking $1600 ($1,506.52 U.S.). A new XL costs $1,000 (I can get one for $800 before Christmas with my hardware store's Xmas discount). He has eggcessories, but they don't appear to be more than $400 worth. So, he's asking $1,500 for used equipment when new costs $1,400 or so?

I know I must be wrong, but that's what I come up with. I'm just saying ....

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gary -

I 100% agree with you. This past spring I bought a 1 year old XL with everything that the above ad included except mine did not have shelves (what are they - a hundred bucks maybe?) My cost was $600.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You can buy one for $1000.00 Canadian's can not.
  • Celtic Wolf is right. Eggs seem to go for a premium north of the border.

Tom

Tom

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    You will find it's not uncommon for people to ask incredibly high prices for used eggs. I'm not sure why that is, but many seem to think they can get new retail prices for them.
  • I don't want to start anything. I'm very unpolitical and ignorant. But, I don't understand how customs could be so high with the trade agreement.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The trade agreement states that goods produced in Canada or Mexico can be freely sold in the US and vice versus. Now sure what it says about luxury items or items produced in Mexico being sold in Canada.

Thus the big sucking sound..
  • Village Idiot,

I doesn't have anything to do with free trade. There is additional freight, customs fees, taxes. The price we pay is determined at the time the eggs are ordered by the Canadian distributor. The value of the US dollar against the CDN has a great effect. My first XL was $1,699. CDN with no eggcessories.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tom,

I'm sure you could make a deal as good from a dealer right now. I wouldn't start with an XL anyway, since it is being reworked.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pretty much everything does. When the dollar goes up retailers seem to want to treat it as a profit rather than pass the savings along. Bast()&*()^*s

Doug
  • My large BGE is doing just fine right now. If I add anything, it will be another large. My colleague at work is only in the dreaming stage. I think he would go to the dealer as the price being offered seems a bit steep in my books!

Tom

Tom

• Sounds like a road trip across the border would be much cheaper. :ermm:
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    have to agree with Doug, that's why I bought my Honda snowblower from Buffalo and saved $400 even after currency conversion and paying 13% taxes at Canadian customs :P :angry:
    canuckland
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    I was buying Honda ATVs in Penn and selling them here and making about $2000 each in short order. Was crazy the price diffential on each unit. Honda Canada finally wisened up and reduced pricing...but I noticed recently that prices are back up again.....hmmmm...

Wayne
  • Interesting…
    This whole Canada / US / World pricing thing!!??!! Is a bit hard to understand.
    I would think that the price is the price; taking into account the current monetary (sp?) exchange rates, and that would be that.
    Guess I live in a bubble….Oh, wait a minute, I knew that already!
    But this still all sucks!!