Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

does coke really work?

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
every time I cook a butt, I absolutely stuff myself with it as soon as I pull it. that's because that's the only time it is really good. once it has been refrigerated, it's not awful, but it's just not even close to fresh cooked.

I have tried reheating it in the microwave, in a covered saucepan with and without sauce as well as simmering it in a foodsaver bag. I have not tried coke.

really? coke?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    YES! but it must be Coca-Cola Classic - not that diet or flavored crap! and certainly NOT Pepsi! I use 12 oz per 3 to 4 pounds. Just don't tell people as they don't understand and form a pre-conceived "yuck" attitude!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    who'd a thunk it? do you do it in a saucepan or fs bags? surely not the microwave. thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I also use chicken broth to heat it up with.
  • RRP
    no, I don't micro wave it. Even warmed in a pot on the stove along with the Coke works! If you have a bunch use a crock pot.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Yep what RRP said. :)
    I usually do it in a sauce pan.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• seriously, am I the only one to read this title and not go completely drug reference with it??????
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Drugs are bad .... mmmkay?
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    If you want your pulled pork to taste like Coca Cola, then use it. Being an Atlantan(home of Coke)of 40 years, I believe it should be drinken only.
  • Carolina Q
    not so fast, my friend. you can't just say THAT without giving an alternative! :P

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Well I am of the opinion......and yes I know everyone has one and most stink.......
    Reheating pulled pork with anything "in" it including bbq sauce results in the meat acting like a sponge. Then you have a spongie meat that tastes like coke, sauce, or whatever. I prefer to warm it in a covered saucepan on the stove, put it on the plate or bun, then thinly apply sauce with a squirt bottle.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I like it fresh too.What we don't eat rite after it is pulled is frozen and bound for baked beans.Next time I want PP,I cook another one and use the frozen stuff in the beans.And so the viscious cycle begins!!! :whistle:;)
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    I have added coke to my pulled pork, and it really seems to keep it moist and flavorful. I don't taste any coke flavor.

Just got a Foodsaver, and didn't like how it worked with even a very small amount of liquid in the bag (didn't seem to seal as well, even with the "wet" seal setting).

So I'll Foodsaver dry, and add coke when reheating.
  • Carolina Q
    i'll bet your stash of bean pork must be limitless!! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I serve LOTS of beans! :woohoo: :pinch: :laugh:Sometimes if I get too much in the freezer I'll add it to chilli or stew.
  • Carolina Q
    yeah, i've tried that too, but it's still not the same. maybe hoss' method is the best. now all i have to do is come up with 101 other ways to use 5 or 6 lbs of leftover Q. 1) baked beans...2) pizza...3) ???

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Michael,

I think you have got to give it a try and let us hear your opinion! I would this weekend, but i'm going to smoke a brisket.
  • Yup, start with a little, 3 to 5 oz. and add more until you get the consistency you like.

It's also great on fresh cooked with some added bbq sauce.

barbacoa1.jpg

Fantastic sandwhiches...
    barbacoa2.jpg

GG
  • I been doing it with cook now as long as I can remember, and never got a coke taste in my pulled pork. I make about 16 to 20 LBs. a month for the people my wife works with and all she does to reheat it when she gets to the office is put it in the crock pot on low with the coke. By the time lunch time comes it's good to go with no complaints at all. Every month there always asking for more, so I guess I am doing something right. This is IMHO and it works for us. To me when you add sauce to pulled pork you take the good flavor away. Let people add it to there own sandwich the way they like it.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    OK, I'm only a gold egger, but I've been thinking about reheating it in a bag dropped in a boiling water bath. I suppose you could add some sort of liguid to the bag first, but I seem to remember that being a heating method my mom used for something she fed us as kids. It sure as heck wasn't butt, I can tell you that!

I think no matter how you do it, the consistency will be different. Your bark is all messed up...mushy from being sealed up and refridgerated. Adding liquid probably starts turning the bark into somewhat of a sauce at the introduction. I dunno. All I can say is-pitty the fool who isn't there to help pull it! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Oh,and pulled pork with some carmelized onion makes a really really really good pizza!
  • RRP
    do a tally and you'll see more of us believers in Coke than non-believers! BTW you do NOT taste the Coke and it does NOT make it sweet! Granted if you overdid it, it might but not the amount as I suggested. By the time you are ready to serve it any liquid remaining will be clear - not brown.

Furthermore I happen to hate the taste of re-warmed beef and I've found a bit of Coke added to the skillet solves that taste problem also.
  • For my leftover pork butt, I just foodsave a bag of pork with a frozen chunk of apple juice. Then when ready for a meal just throw the bag in boiling water for 20 minutes and your good to go. Haven't tried coke but AJ works great.
  • For my leftover pork butt, I just foodsave a bag of pork with a frozen chunk of apple juice. Then when ready for a meal just throw the bag in boiling water for 20 minutes and your good to go. Haven't tried coke but AJ works great.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Personally if you sauced it before cooling it off you shouldn't have to add anything.

Around the wolf compound we are a family divided on whose pulled pork is better - mine or my father-in-laws; however, neither of us puts the pork in the refrigerator or freezer without sauce.

Personal choice, but I never saw a need for Coke on my product.
  • Michael:

What I did with with one small FoodSaver bag of pulled pork (no added liquid before freezing) is put it in a skillet with a little oil and fry it till a bit crisped. I put it in a whole wheat tortilla and made carnitas one time, had it with eggs for breakfast another. Tastes completely different. At the top of the yum-meter.

Judy
    San Diego drowned in rain...incroyable!
    Judy in San Diego
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    chris in kc wrote:
    For my leftover pork butt, I just foodsave a bag of pork with a frozen chunk of apple juice. Then when ready for a meal just throw the bag in boiling water for 20 minutes and your good to go. Haven't tried coke but AJ works great.

Now that there's a pretty good idea, wondering why I didn't think of that? Just make a few apple juice or Dr. Pepper ice cubes and seal it up in the foodsaver bag!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • I have recently cooked several large batches (12-15# each) for serving a day or two after the cook. I pulled, added a small amount of the rub and liberally sprayed the PP with Apple juice. Put in a large foil serving pan, sealed with foil and refrigerated until the morning to be served.
    Placed the pan (covered) in the oven at about 200* after adding equal amounts of water and apple juice (about a cup of each) until heated through.
    Served with BBQ on the side. Everyone at these 3 events thought it was the best PP they had ever eaten - suggestions to open a restaurant - NOT !
    I sampled from all batches and it was tasty, moist, not spongy.

Just my 2 cents...