Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

must have eggcessories

Options
neweggheadhusband
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband got a large BGE a few months ago as a wedding gift and has loved cooking on it. I'm hoping to get him a few eggcessories for Christmas. We have the place setter, electric starter, some cedar planks, and everything that it came with (cover, etc)

Anything we can't live without? I was considering the baking stone, electric meat thermometer, chicken sitter. Or is there a cookbook or something he would enjoy? He wants to build his own table so that is out.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Adjustable Rig and spyder from Tom at the
    ceramicgrillstore.com
    ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    Gotta have a Thermopen.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Like golffer said get the instant read Thermapen because most everyone will tell you to cook your food by temp and our go to grilling tool is the Thermapen. I hope this helps and Happy Holidays. Tim :)

- MTC – http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html (get the 2 sec read probe)

Then also check out these sites.
    - Ceramic Grills Store - http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/ Don’t miss out seeing the accessories Tom has fabricated. The Adjustable Rig & Spider are both great products and in my top 2 must haves.

- Dizzy Pig Rubs (DP) real good flavor - http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipes.html

- Lawn Ranger - http://www.lawnrangerbbq.com/

- Fred’s Music and BBQ - - http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/230.htm

- Maverick ET-73 (abt. $40 online) Pit & Food probes with remote & alarms – I really like mine, some members don’t like them at all. - http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et73.htm
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes definitely get a BGE pizza stone for the size egg he has...I see pizzas and baked bread in your future... :lol: :P
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    New Egghead Wife...One thing that didn't come with my Egg was an ash tool for removing ash from the bottom of his egg. A Cast Iron grid and a grid extender are items I use all the time. Your dealer should have them. A Thermapen is a must for checking int temps, a little pricey but worth every nickel. Check the members column for Mollyshark I got mine from her at a discount.

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the egg family!! What a great wedding gift. You both will have years of great food and fun with your egg. I wouldn't spend the money on a cookbook, there are so many great recipes on the forum and different websites. Nakedwhiz.com is probably one of the best. I've learned a lot on his site too.

These are the items I have and love.
    Grid extender
    Pizza stone
    Ash tool
    Adjustable rig
    Thermapen
    map torch
    Digi Q
    Cyber Q
    Some different smoking woods would be a nice gift too.

Hope this helps.
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Was mentioned, but PIZZA STONE, the 3 little green feet, and place setter, for sure!!

A tool for removing the ash was also mentioned, however, don't forget to get or make a "wiggle rod", a tool that can be used to unclog all those draft holes at the bottom of the egg through the sliding vent door.

I made mine from 1/4" stainless steel rod, bend about a 3" 90 degree end at the end of it, and some kind of handle up at the other end.
    It will make sure that the egg reach's proper temps.
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    hands down - thermapen a must have. beyond that, it als is GREAT. In addition to what everyone else has said a cast iron pot fot the egg is fun. I can not wait to get a temp control unit. I know one can be controled from the iphone, how fun would that be.....

Congrats in the EGG and i assume a recent wedding!
    steve
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I vote for Pizza Stone and Thermapen.

:)
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    Thermapen, BGE pizza stone, plate setter, cast iron grid and a MAPP TORCH :evil: okay maybe the Mapp torch isn't a must have but it's way COOL :P
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Sooner Egg, the torch is indeed a must! B)

New Egghead Wife, welcome! The necessities have been listed pretty well. Just wanted to say welcome.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I'll second that. I don't know what I ever did without the AR and Spider.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    These don't necessarily fit in the "can't live without" category, but you might want to consider in the future. First is a product called a Spider which can be used with a wok which opens a whole new world on the BGE. Another is a Griddle-Q which turns your egg into a first class griddle. Here take a look by clicking on this picture.
    th_IMG_0115.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    BTW these clean up in a spiffy! See?

IMG_0064.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    thermapen is good.
    Not sure I've used my pizza stone in earnestbecause I have a platesetter.
    I prefer the simplicity of the woo ring but the look of the ask rig is appealing.
    next on the list area third hand - simply wonderful- and a grill wizard "china brush"
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    In addition to all other, I also consider a remote meat thermometer a must have. Current version is the Maverick ET-73 tells temp of both the grid and the meat. Makes it a little easier to sleep on a long low cook.

Merry Christmas :laugh: