Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en:Stuffed thighs w/shrimp&shrooms

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello. My "screen name" is JLOCKHART. I am ashamed as I have not been around much lately and its almost like I didn't call my mother. Funny how a internet forum can take on a life of its own! Will explaine where I have been in a bit but first to hopefully prove I can still burn some'en on the old Egg lets get to the cook. To prove its really me hear are the raws! ;)
CopyofFooddec09001.jpg

Forgive all the pics but just showing how to do this dish as I really enjoy it and feeds a bunch! Start by deboning some XL thighs. If there were any thich pieces of meat I butterflyed them back them added 1/2 slice of thick American White cheese, sea salt, cracked pepper and fresh sage leaf. Wrapped them up overlapping the skin and pinning with tooth picks.
CopyofFooddec09002.jpg

Into the cast iron direct with EVOO at 300-325 with presimmon wood flipping every 5-7 min. for about 15 min. till brown. Drain off all liquid when done.
CopyofFooddec09005.jpg

Really nasty day at the DP's but the fire fire in Chemenia felt nice.
CopyofFooddec09004.jpg

Take off an put in La Cresuit and set to side. Next one sliced onion and 6 cloves sliced garlic in EVOO scrapping the drippings till well done and set aside.
Fooddec09006.jpg

Next some shrimp with more EVOO, mint leafs and my own smoked Italian parsley.
Fooddec09007.jpg

Slice thick small portabello shrooms in EVOO. Once sizzling add 1/2 cup more or less white wine and cook till tinder and set aside.
Fooddec09008.jpg

Hear are the cooked raws ready to add to the La Cresuit that the yard bird is all ready in.
Fooddec09009.jpg

Added two cans Hunts fire roasted tomatoes around the thighs. On top of the tomatoes add the onion/garlic, shrooms and last shrimps.
Fooddec09015.jpg

Put whole concoction back in Egg at 325 with lots of smoke wood, my preferance presimmon, and cook for 30 to 45 min.
Fooddec09018.jpg

Serve over pasta of choice. In this case egg noodles and get your own bird named Jake to approve! :laugh:
Fooddec09019.jpg

As I said starting out I am sorry I have been AWAL so much of late. Since so many of you are family I will share a little about why. Some know I can not have children and my "animals" are our kids. My old 14 year old Lab has had COPD for several months. I have spent the last 3 weeks giving her 3 shots 2x a day picking her up and down stairs and hand feeding her food on top of working 12 hour day/nights the last 12 of the last 15 days. Susie was doing better each day till last Monday at 2:15 am when she could no longer get enough air down and I was forced to give her up.
I was blessed to have her 7 of her 14 years. She was my 83 year old Grandmothers and I took her in when she died in 02. First time in the last 40 years I have not had a dog. Sure is lonly around hear but Andy and Jake are stepping up to the plate. Got a depot on a German Shephard pup in Penn. but will not even be breed till March/April.
I hope to be back like normal after New Years. Lots of OT for vacation the rest of the month so please forgive me if I'm not around as much.
Last pic of Susie week before last. Rest in peace Smoke Shack dog.
RAIN027-1.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the pup. :( It was an AWESOME cook. :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Man, hate to hear of ole Susie's COPD and passing. Like the loss of a kid, especially in your case. I know a new pup will not replace the old friend, but at least it will be a distraction until he/she wins your heart, like the all do, dammit !

Great looking cook, JL. I'm bookmarking that one for when the kids are over around Christmas time.

Been kinda cool for riding the last week, maybe we can get some moderate weather, if you can get away from all that work.

Sorry again, about Susie. Hang in there, man!
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    JL, that looks incredible. Sorry about the your friend.
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hey JL,

My condolences for the loss of Susie. Only time will heal that wound. Thank God for the memories. Been there.

The cook looks fantastic!

Gator

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Yes Jl Susie's spirit well be a comfort in the shack and lounge

Ross
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    JL...Super excellent looking cook there!!! But more importantly, SO sorry about your Suzie!! For BT and I, our animals are our kids as well, so we completely understand! Have been dealing with a diabetic cat for a couple years....injections like you....and you just never know one day to the next. Sounds like you truly went above AND beyond!! ;) Truly, SO sorry for the loss of your buddy!!! Just remember, Suzie is with your Grandmother now, and they are both loving their reunion! :);)

PS...Always love your posts! :)
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dog. A lot of people would have given up a lot sooner.

That does look excellent.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    JL,

Tell me about "smoked parsley".

Technique?

Thanks.

PS, still drooling over that dish ! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • BoardSMITH
    Options
    Dean,

I feel your pain about Suzie! I had a Lab for 13 years, Murphy. He was a good friend and a constant companion. When I was in the shop, he would stretch out on the floor and make me walk over or around him. His health deteriorated so badly I couldn't bear to see him suffer so I made the decision to have him put down. That was a tough decision, took days to make and still cramps my stomach to think about it. When I got him back, I cried like a baby. He is now buried at the shop and I see his grave everyday.

For me, no more dogs. This was the second I buried and I don't want to bury another one.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    JL so sorry to here about Susie. I know its got to be hard to loose a best friend. Hang in there buddy, and I hope it goes threw for a new puppy. I think its a good choice on a German Shepherd. Oh yea great looking cook, nice combination. It reminded me something my mom use to make when I was a kid.
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    JL
    So sorry to hear about Susie. We are in the same boat as far as no kids but our Bonnie is there for us. Had to put down my old bluetick about three years ago and thought I would never get over it but knowing he had the best 10yrs just like Susie has had her 14yrs w/ great people makes it all worth while.
    Jason
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    My wife just got approved for a iron transfussion after battling the insurance company for 3 months. Her iron is like a 4 yet she runs 3 miles every day. Go figure. Anyway got to have her at hospital in 30 min. so not much time. I wish I could respond to each and every response about Susie but I have to go and this thread will be burried by time I get back but I just want to say that me and my wife are touched by all your words. She had to quit reading so as not to get upset again put will when we get back. I can truly say I did all I could for Sue and I do rest easy knowing that. I take care of my own and each time takes a part of my soul but like a drug addiction I have to get another one. How ever with this next one no one better try and steel "his" Egg when he grows up! ;)
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    That is one beautiful meal- YUM Thanks for the Post
  • Little Steven
    Options
    JL,

Really sorry to here about Susie my friend. It is really hard to lose a dog.

STeve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• great post.... as always.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss. We had to put our Missy down over a year ago and we still miss her terribly.

We look forward to seeing you around here in 2010...have a great holiday season...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Great lookin grub as always JL! Sorry to hear about Sue, we've had four dogs that lived full and productive lives whose time finally came, it just doesn't get any easier. BTW, my daughter and her horse moved to Lexington, KY, she is trying to get into the horse racing industry. She graduated from the University of AZ in the horse racing program. -RP
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    You are correct - you do have another family that cares for you very much. I, for one, look forward to your posts. We've never met, but you can't help but feel a connection with you and your family. We have not had children either and also know the pain of saying goodbye to two dear pets. I admire your outlook on getting another dog. Love to you both and know you are cared about here at the Chicken Ranch.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Delicioso as usual...wowwwwwwwwwww that looks so good........Sorry to hear about Susie.... :unsure:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So sorry about Susie. It is very hard at this time.
    My best to you all.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ViennaJack
    Options
    Susie's story brought tears to my eyes. Bless you for being there for her.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    JL, that looks like a wonderful dinner, made with losts of love. Thanks for sharing it with us.

So sorry to hear about the loss of Susie. She was well taken care of and very lucky to live with you and your wife.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Really sorry to hear about Sue. Don't let Jake and Andy miss any photo opp's.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX