Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Computer Control Temp

Options
last_option
last_option Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, did a pork butt this weekend and when I woke up my temp was 300 and my pork was 212. Pork turn out dry.

Being an engineer I already have the beginnings of a temperature controller built. So, my question is do you think there is a market for another controller? I have some ideas that should make this controller better.

Ideas:
Thermapen type predictive temperature measurements - This will make the temp measurements very fast.

SD card with temp data for reference/analysis.

wireless built in (this would have to be on the high end since the wireless chips are still a little expensive). This would let you control the box thru a webpage with all those advantages (blah blah blah)

A 2X16 LCD display.

A quickstart mode (i.e. insert grill temp/food temp and go). You could also have preset temp profiles that you could just bring up for whatever you want to cook - burgers, tri tip, pork butt, brisket, and on and on. There would be some from the factory, but also user created. All would be able to be modified. You could also share temp profiles over the web thru websites like the BGE forum ;)

A time/temp mode with grill temp to food temp merge.

Anyway, if this sound like it is feasible or you have other ideas, let me know.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    It's late, and I am tired, but in what I am reading, I believe you are late to the party. :( There are several "pit master" type devices, that not only monitor pit temps and food temps, but relay to computers, and operate a fan to help regulate pit temps. There are several out there....we use The DigiQII....doesn't talk to our computer, but does an amazing job with pit temps, etc.
    I intended to send you links to the device we use, but it appears their site is being updated. Please check BBQGuru.com in a day or two.
    In the meantime, you will get other recommendations, as there is more than one company making a product I believe you are describing.
    We wish you the best!! :) And keep posting!! This is a great forum. ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Yes, there are other units out there that do somewhat what you are describing in their own way.

If you have a passion, work something out you might have something that will catch on or you might end up with another duplicate.

There one was a company called Ford and you could get any color you wanted as long as it was black. Then the big 3, then more and more.

OR, there was the ceramic cooker that a lot of military folk brought home from the the orient. Then there was a green egg, then more ceramic cooker brands and even new start ups.

It's risk & reward, if you never try you never will know. Only you can decide if the "juice is worth the squeeze" my friend.

GG
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I think if you combine the functionality of the Stoker with the customer service orientation of BBQ Guru, and threw in built-in wireless, you would have a market leader.

You need to provide data gathering and control software as well. If you provided predictive analysis of the cook (extrapolating the finish time based on the current slope of the food cook curve), the software could then suggest when your cook will be finished. When I see that my pork butt has pulled through the stall in Stokerlog, the food curve seems to be fairly linear to the finish. That way, once the food is through the stall, the user could select the temperature most suited to putting the food on the table or in the cooler at the ideal time.

By the way, I would not invest the money in thermapen-speed temperature monitoring within this type of device. A controller would always be used from the time the food goes on until it comes off, and never on small bits of food (like kababs), where a thermapen really comes in handy. I don't think the user would benefit from the instant response in this type of application.

Mark
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    my two cents. I am contemplating the digiQ because I feel the Stoker is a bit to complicated for me. Now if yours has the same abilities but is easy to use I would say you have a winner. Would love to sit in my office and control the BGE via computer.
    gp
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    Look into the CyberQ from BBQ Guru.
    It is simpler than the Stoker and has the capapbility of being controlled from your office desk.

Kenny
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    Funny, the recent discussion about ET-73 reliability got me thinking. An Arduino, a bluetooth radio, a few thermocouples, an LED display, and a few switches would make an ideal BBQ monitor.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Look further down the posts, SkySaw has some good comments about eh complexity of the Stoker. Go through the instructions once and the Stoker isn't much different than the DigiQII (q2).

I use multiple food probes with the stoker and monitor/control it remotely. The cook log is nice to have also. I haven't used the Stoker on multiple eggs yet. However, further down in the posts Conumdrum or it might be uncondrum is controlling 6 eggs with the stoker.

I also love the q2, it is a great unit.

With either the Stoker or the q2 both about the same price. Both need to have the both require the setting of the pit target temperature and the food target temperature. I haven't counted but I am guessing it is about the same number of button pushes.

I have need service on the q2 and the Guru folks were fantastic and took care of the problem licketysplit, great service. I had longer time hearing from Stoker on an initial sale issue which took 4 or 5 days to get resolved.

I haven't looked much into the CyberQ because I already have the stoker and q2. The CyperQ is limited to 2 food probes and 2 pit probes.

Check out the prices of each and look over the specs... it's only money.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

... and the ability of how to put it all together and make it work. :)

GG
  • last_option
    Options
    AEM,

You are on the same page. Do a quick proto in arduino and stamps. Design up a PCA and your off. I like the idea of using Type K thermocouples since you can do really high temps 1000F+. Then you can have sear mode :woohoo:

Well, it is easy to make this stuff, so I am just quickly prototyping something. I was just gauging interest. My system would be heavily biased towards a big green egg, since I would develop all my transfer functions base on a temperature model of the egg in matlab. Then use the egg to validate.
  • faithie999
    Options
    +1 on the idea of thermocouple and hi-temp insulation on the wires. not only useful for 1000F sears, but also for 600F pizza cooks and 450F bread baking. also, the network capability of the stoker with wireless built in would be great--saves another piece of gear at the grill (a wireless gaming adapter or a pair of ethernet-over-ac-wiring adapters).
    i think the control algorithm and the temp sensing are the easy part. the tough part will be designing a small unit to contain the electronics and display (weatherproof would be nice!!), that you can produce and sell competitively with the currently available units. good luck--i'll buy one when you go into production!
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    If you include a fuzzy engine in the algorithm, I bet you can make it more adaptable to non-Egg pits.

I've considered going uber-geek and putting a full-blown control system on my Egg, either a ramp-soak controller with a VFD blower or even a PLC and HMI so I can log my variables and analyze what went right or wrong on a particular cook. I'm resisting, but I have a hunch that my inner nerd won't be able to go much longer.