Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Grill. It leaks

Options
BBQ BOY
BBQ BOY Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time cooking and it is leaking around the hinge. What gives. When I had problems putting the XL together I called BGE and Bruce told me to leave the dome on the base and assemble the hinges and rings first then put the whole set up onto the grill and tighten Could this be the problem?
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    It looks like you just need to adjust a little. That is the Beauty of the XL bands. Go back through the installation instructions and adjust it. If you don't have the instructions let me know, I will send them to you.
  • BBQ BOY
    Options
    is it a big deal though? I can't imagine losing much heat from it and if I do I can accommodate for it right by opening the door just a little more.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I have taken my dome off and repositioned it many times. Each time I do, I've been successful in fixing he leak in the rear. But...over time, it comes back. I have a medium BGE. The last time I replaced the gasket, I decided to be lazy and just overlap the gassket from about 10:30 o'clock to about 1:30 o'clock. It is the best job I've done so far, and it has lasted all summer and fall. I guess there's a higher chance to burn up the gasket this way, but it hasn't happened yet. There's more adjustments provided on your XL than there is on a Medium, so you probably won't have to resort to lazydom like me...unless you want to. Good luck.

As long as you maintain the correct temperature while you're cooking, you won't
    see any difference. The only thing that might happen is it'll take a little longer for your coals to go out when you're shutting it down.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Not a big deal. I doubt you are not loosing enough to notice. Also make sure the bolts at the pivot points are not to tight to where they are binding. They tend to tighten up on their own sometimes.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    the "big" deal would be that you will end up burning that portiion of the gasket...best I can tell from your picture..the dome is not seated far enough down in the upper band..if Bruce gave you advice..take it to heart..fix it now...certaintly you can live with it the way it is..but it aint sposed to leak..
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It's difficult to see in your second pic, but it doesn't appear that your band up up against the lip. It needs to be against the lip on the dome and base all the way around. If that is the case, loosen the bolt and do whatever you need to do reposition the band. I used a clamp in reverse and then tightened the bolt.

Not good enough
    101_2613640x480.jpg

101_2616640x480.jpg

101_2462640x480.jpg

Even after getting it just right, I have some insignificant leaks but don't have any problem holding temp.
  • BBQ BOY
    Options
    This is what i have. I placed the bands according to the directions. They are 2" apart from the top of the top band to the bottom of the bottom band. So I need to go ahead and move the top band up?
    IMG_1709.jpg
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Top up and bottom down against the lip - that is the way my XL is. But please go by the advise of the mothership.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    After you make the adjustments do the dollar bill test as per the instructions. There should be some resistance all the way around.
  • BBQ BOY
    Options
    After the dollar bill test then what? What if there is a spot that has less to little resistance?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Like Wess and Frank said the band needs to be up to the lip. Some places may have more resistance than others but the rear is where you are likely to have a leak. As long as there is some resistance at the 4 positions you should be ok. If you pass the dollar bill test go to step 10. If it fails I would go back to step 7 and try again. The lift up and pull forward part is helpful to getting a good seal. Do this part without the springs on and with the hinges loose. It will use the weight of the dome to sit on the base.