Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chilean Sea Bass

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any good techniques / recipes for Chilean Sea Bass??

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    It's a wonderful fatty fish, and a simple prep works well. Hopefully you have a fairly thick piece. Grill medium hot (like 450...or higher if it's thinner) until it releases itself from the grill and you can carefully flip. 4 or 5 minutes a side (or until browned). Remove at 120-130 internal, and it should be perfect after a short rest.

The picture is halibut, but they cook similarly. The sauce is sauteed shallots, reduced tequila, heavy cream, a touch of lime juice and brined green peppercorns. I seasoned the fish with raging river before grilling.

Good luck whatever you do!
    Chris

Halibut.jpg
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    mad max has a something that i have heard nothing but good things about here is his write up

Sea Bass, Hong Kong

A little background . . a couple of weeks ago i was at a restaurant and had something called hong kong sea bass. ..menu said: sea bass steamed on bed of lettuce with ginger and scallions and served with broth of sherry and soy sauce. ..frankly it was the best fish i'd eaten in a restaurant in many years ....new i had to duplicate it in the egg. ... so. .. i bought a traditional oriental bamboo steamer (two level with lid). .. .ran some water all over it so it wouldn't get burned in the egg. .. set up my large egg with my wok ring and center fire, about 350 degrees dome temp. ..laid a big bed of fresh baby spinich and a couple of filets of sea bass on each of the steamer trays along with some slivers of fresh ginger and scallions. . .poured about 1 cup of sherry and about 1/3 cup of soy sauce into the cold wok and then set the steamer basket set in the wok over the liquid. ...set the whole thing in the wok ring and closed the dome for about 15 minutes ... . pulled the entire wok set up out after about 15 minutes, careful not to lose the broth in the wok. .. .plated the fish on top of the wilted spinach (oh, btw, use lots of spinach, it really shrinks down). ..and the spooned some of the broth on top ... my wife LOVED it .. .we agreed it may be the best fish i've ever made and ranks right up with some of the best egg food i've ever made. .. .

Recipe Type
    Seafood, Wok

Recipe Source
    Author: mad max beyond eggdome

Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 04/29/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    When you say "reduced tequila" you mean the contents of the bottle were reduced before you started cooking, right? I enjoy reducing the contents of tequila bottles too. ;)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    He is known for saying "Sometimes you just need to marinate the cook"
  • Thanks for all the help and feedback.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You can't eat that - it's too pretty

Looks perfectly cooked to me.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm, that looks delicious Chris!!
    When are you headed to Holland?
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I'm not a tequilla drinker myself Ben, but I know a few people on the forum that would take a " tequilla reduction" that way.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks. You ate some of that fish.

On the way to The Netherlands later this week!
    Say hi to Sam and give Diane a hug for me please.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Man that really looks good. Going to have to try the sauce....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey Pete. Yeah, sometimes I do say that. More often, though, I just simply act it out.

Hope all is well.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    You could look at it both ways.
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Actually, I did get one bite.

Thanks Frank. Hope all is well down yonder!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Barry.
    Hatch (Kenny) made the sauce while I cooked the fish. I tried what he told me later at home, and it was not as good....but I did not have the wet green peppercorns (and maybe lacking in skill somewhat). Hatch makes a nice cream sauce! Dang that stuff was good.
    Beers to you.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey Terry. Just wanted to say "hey", and I hope things are going well after all ya been thru.

Max's recipe sounds good as well, with a totally different (but successful) approach.

Cheers bro.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Would you mind elaborating a little? That's a really good looking cook.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Shhhh that was supposed to be a secret!!!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    It was pretty simple. Not sure what I missed, but I'll try from a different angle.

I had a nice thick piece of fish to work with. I seasoned it liberally with raging river, and got the egg screaming hot.

Meanwhile, Hatch was inside. And since he's not here, I'll try my best. He sauteed the finely diced shallots, added tequila and cooked it down. Think he said he used a half cup. Think he said is was Cuervo 1800. Not the $100 bottles we drink occasionally, and not the cheap cuervo gold. Anyways....once it's reduced to just enough liquid to keep the shallots wet, add the cream (and I guess at that time he added the brined green peppercorns) and stir continuously until it thickened. Season to taste with salt, white pepper and a light squirt of lime juice.

Meanwhile, I threw the fish on directly over the hot coals. After a couple minutes I tugged on it and it stuck, so I let it go some more. Then it released from sticking and I flipped it. Went another couple minutes and pulled it and plated it to rest. Checked internal and it was 120.

Hatch walked out with the sauce. We poured it on, and the feast was on.

At least thats to the best I can recollect ;-)
    Beers to you.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Rib Bones
    Options
    I'm not generally a big fan of fish...but man does that look good! :woohoo:
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Wow that looks Great