Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best food saver to purchase?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have resisted buying a food saver for a long time - due to the expense and the storage room it takes.[p]I am beginning to waiver though. [p]I would appreciate it if someone would tell me the best one to buy. I never want to buy another one.[p]Do you put food in the freezer without wrapping it against freezer burn once you have sealed it with the food saver?[p]Thank you in advance for your help.[p]Kyle

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    KL,
    I started out with one of the smaller less expensive ones, and sometime last year I upgraded to the Pro II model, it is definately nicer and more durable. You will want to leave it on your counter because you will find yourself using it a lot more than you thought you would. I also use mason jars and the foodsaver canisters, the things you can do are endless. I dont really understand your question about freezer burn, but I but meats in bulk and cut to my liking, then just seal em in the bags and into the freezer they go, they can not get freezer burn if they are sealed in the bag..HTH[p]Wess

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    KL,[p]I have the 750 which I purchased at Sam's Club several years ago. Still going strong. Now Sam's (the one near here anyway) is also carrying an upgrade. [p]In answer to another question... you don't have to wrap the meat, just put it in a Tilia bag. However you do have to freeze it to keep juices from going into the Foodsaver. I usually put the meat in a Tilia bag, stick it in the freezer and than seal after about two hours of being in the freezer. [p]Couple suggestions... go to the Tilia web site and they have a comparison chart about each model. [p]Also, Kohl's carries quite a large selection and you could do a "hands on" study of the various models they sell.[p]One other hint... keep it out on the counter within easy access so you remember to use it. Does a great job resealing potato chips, crackers, etc.[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    KL,[p]I have a Deluxe, purchased in 1993 and used regularly since. They do last a long time. I do not wrap the meat prior or after vacuum sealing. Just put the meat in the bag and seal. Had a pork loin this weekend past that was labeled 9/98 - got lost in the bottom of the freezer. It was as good as any.[p]Great product.[p]Spin
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    KL,[p]I too have the Pro II model. I like it lots - it has a button to push for vacuum seal that starts the process then you can walk away. Some of the lesser models you have to stand and hold the vacuum switch until complete.[p]I egg ABTs and wings every Sunday and foodsaver my lunches for the week. Some I throw into the freezer for a rainy day.[p]I bought my Pro II off ebay - lots of sellers of new units there.[p]Good luck[p]Chuck
  • KL,
    I just bought one Sunday "Foodsaver" , it is a 900 series. I believe it is the latest one. They didn't have one at Walmart we got it at a kitchen place. We think it does a good job cause we done got a frozen "egged" whole chicken out of it's makeshift package and put it through the steps of the new gadget and it's so purdy in there and looks like it could last forever...long as it last till next week sometimes when I plan to repeat last night enchiladas out of it we're o.k...I wish StumbBaby would come up with us a new story...I can't beleive that rascal ain't commented on that circus question, can ya'll...

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    KL,
    I own the model 1050 and it serves me well. Trust me I was skepitical as you seem to be, but just like owning a BGE you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner. You get very adept at using it. I don't happen to keep it out like others suggest, but that's just a personal preference. Tonight's supper is from a Food Saver bag...it's some terrific ham and bean soup I made three months ago. That is handy to freeze up great meals and spread them out rather than to get burnt out on a big pot of something. I still have three meals of cup size "Clear Turkey Soup" made Thanksgiving using JSlot's Mother's recipe. Same thing - a gourment touch to some future meal - thanks to a Food Saver! One last hint though. If your freezer remains full like ours we end up shoving and pushing frozen packages around. Even as tough as the F/S bag material is the rough ice crystals formed on the metal shelves can cause pin prick holes on a F/S and that will shorten the life as minute as it may seem. A damaged bag will show that the contents start to crystalize...Solution? We always place the F/S items in heavy duty freezer bags to protect them.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    KL,[p]I just got the tilia vac 800 in early january, and have used it pretty much every day. I got that model, since it was fairly cheap--100 bucks when I used a 20% off any item coupon at bed bath and beyond--check your newspapers and mail. The features I really wanted were the bag storage holder and built-in bag cutter. Also, it had an adjustable seal time (not adjustable vac time though), and an accessory hose--I think only the absolute cheapest one doesn't have the hose, and you really need it so you can use some accessories like the mason jar sealer and special containers that you may decide to get later. I don't know what the difference is between the 800 that I have, or the 820 or 900 series that I've seen and look exactly the same. But definitely keep track of coupons that could save you a lot of money. Any tilia product will be good quality. I also have heard good stuff about vacupack (I don't know who makes them), and bad things about the black and decker and rival models. Hope that helped.
    --Aron

• KL,
    I would stick with the Tilia/Foodsaver brand. It depends upon your level of committment to it. After several years of good service from the 550 model, I passed that one on to my folks & found a Pro II 1200 model at Ebay. I got it for two hundred, including shipping. A lucky day, to say the least. It has a cutter built in & several levels of selectable suction & also an override to kill it, when you need to stop immediately. Like others have mentioned, it is used several times daily, whether it is a canister for lettuce/etc, or sealing items freezer bound. I do not wrap anything before sealing. I use the square marinater alot too. You can even use bags to marinate, whether leaving in fridge or tossing into freezer. I have no complaints against Tilia/Foodsaver.

• RRP,[p]Great suggestion for putting things in a freezer bag first. I have either the 1050 or 1075 model, and I like to buy salmon (and most of my Egg'ed items) at Costco and cut it into steaks. When my family gets together, leftovers are always available. I've wasted a lot less since buying myself a late Christmas present.