Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement

Options
BowHuntn Egger
BowHuntn Egger Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How difficult is it to replace gasket on the large? Lid is starting to stick.

Comments

• golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    Piece of cake. Get the newer gasket from BGE, DOw sealant from hardware store and really no big deal. Luckily my old one came off very easily.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I just put a new Rutland on my large last week and it was NBD. It did take an hour or two to clean of the old stuff and I took my time carefully putting on the new gasket, I now have a perfect seal.

The Naked whiz has a pretty good tutorial on his site.
  • BowHuntn Egger
    Options
    Thanks for the help
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If the gasket is starting to stick, determine the reason.

Cleaning the gasket off of the top band bottom surface if you use 91% alcohol, work in 8" sections should take 20 to 30 minutes and come out almost white.

Use a stiff 2" or so paint scraper some heavy duty paper towels, I like the blue auto shop paper towels for this purpose.

Don't scrape, gouge, grind, sand or use power tools to remove the gasket.

Heat is also a good gasket remover. Mapp or propane torch works well.

The new gasket material you decide on, well that's up to you. Give Bobby-Q a call at BGE HQ and ask his opinion or the service department at BGE. It's only a few cents to make the call.

GG
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    I recently replaced the gasket on my large with a Nomex gasket. Before starting the job I watched the 3 videos which Fred produced for gasket replacement. I took my time doing it, and found the videos very helpful. Here is a link to the first video: http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/557.htm
    Go to Fred's Music & BBQ to see the other 2 videos. When doing the dollar bill test to check the seal, using a $10 bill does not give a 10 times better seal test than using a $1 bill.
    Uglydog
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    My large BGE is needing a new gasket as well.
    Since the egg is only 4 month's old and the gasket is beyond gone, I contemplated calling Bobby-Q at the mothership, but think I would rather just buy a new Rutland gasket and use the Permatex Ultra-Copper adhesive.
    What would BGE give me as a replacement, the Nomex?
    They don't sell the original felt ones as warranty replacements, do they?