Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Pulled Pork cook?

Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking for a Mardi Gras parade party Saturday afternoon. Since I can't bring the large (small will be going to cook burgers/sausages, etc) I need to cook the brisket and pulled pork ahead of time. My current thought is to cook the 12 pound brisket Thursday afternoon/evening/night and pull off first thing Friday morning. Then I'll reload the egg and put the 18 pounds of Boston Butt on to cook all Friday night. I'll get up and remove the pork Saturday morning, let rest awhile before pulling it.[p]Does this sound like a workable plan? Think I'll have many problems with reloading the egg with lump and getting a fire started that I'll be able to maintain all night for the pork? Just looking for some thoughts.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Shelby,
    If you have a grid extender you might be able to put the brisket (is it a whole packer brisket) on the main grill and the butts (how many???) above on the grill extender.[p]I did this about 3 weeks ago and it worked out fine. Now mind you, I only had one butt to go on the extended grill. I have 2 eight pound butts from Sam's and I'm thinking to go get a brisket to cook at the same time.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• Shelby,
    No need to cook them separate[p]Put the brisket down first then either a V-Rack or raised grid (or even a tin foil snake), put the butts on top.[p]Monitor both temps...[p]Some folks on the forum gave me those tips and it was by far the best brisket I've ever made...

• New Bob,
    I actually did 2 8 lb's started them off about 8 hours, put my brisket underneath after 8 hours with a tin foil snake separating them, went to bed...[p]Best brisket I ever made

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    bigcook.jpg
    <p />Shelby,[p]I agree with the previous posts. If you can do the butts over the briskett do it that way. The right egg is a 15 lb brisket below 2 8 pound butts. As was said before tghis was the best brisket I had done to date. I almost always cook them this way now. Good luck.[p]Chuck

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Chuck,
    Follow up questions:
    Were both of those pics indirect? I was planning on using a plate setter for the indirect setup with a drip pan below the grid. I'm wondering if the dome will close with that plus the second grid. The boston butts total 18 pounds.
    Will the combined cook at much/any cooking time?

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Besides utilizing available cooking space, is the idea to allow the butts to baste the brisket? Does basting beef with pork drippings change the flavor? And one (well, two) more question(s), what's a foil snake and how is it used?

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Shelby,[p]Both pics are indirect. Inverted plate setter with drip pan, main grid and then grid extender. No problem with the dome closing (it is close though) and I have actually done three slightly smaller ones on the raised grid. As far as cooking time goes, it will not increase your normal time by doing it all at once. These cooks usually take me in the 20 - 22 hour range cooking in the low 200s. [p]How many butts in your 18 lbs? If three you may have to pack them in or lean them against each other at the start. They will shrink up and you will have pleanty of room to do the cook.[p]Have fun.[p]Chuck

• BamaBob,
    The pork marinates the outer crust of the brisket so it get's that nice crispy coatind and seals the juices on the inside.[p]A tin foil snake is just aluminum foil rolled up lenghtwise to about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch around, coil it like a snake on top of something and it makes a great (and cheap) spacer for smoke/grease/other stuff to get around.