Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Italian Bread with yeast starter

Large MargeLarge Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never baked (other than pizza) on the BGE, this was a great first try at a loaf of bread. The past month or so I've gotten into live yeast starter cultures, in an effort to figure out real Neapolitan-style pizza... the kind you find in just a few choice spots outside of Italy. Will post pics later this week once I get it right (it's hard!) I had some leftover active culture so I thought I'd make this Pane Cafone - recipe and yeast I obtained through Ed Wood's Sourdough website and book. Making a sourdough starter isn't hard but it does take time and a few cool tools. Fortunately the BGE is a fantastic baking oven!

DSCN0084.jpg
The "raws"-- just a ball o yeasty dough using an Italian yeast culture from Camaldoli region near Naples, proofed for 12 hours, then shaped and proofed for 3 more.

DSCN0085.jpg
Puffed up like a Corn Pop but what a crust! 15min at 425 then 40min at 375, turned once and spritzed a couple of times with water.

DSCN0088.jpg
The finished product- very hearty, dipped great in EVOO and a very mild taste, not sour at all.

Comments