Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Italian Bread with yeast starter

Large MargeLarge Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never baked (other than pizza) on the BGE, this was a great first try at a loaf of bread. The past month or so I've gotten into live yeast starter cultures, in an effort to figure out real Neapolitan-style pizza... the kind you find in just a few choice spots outside of Italy. Will post pics later this week once I get it right (it's hard!) I had some leftover active culture so I thought I'd make this Pane Cafone - recipe and yeast I obtained through Ed Wood's Sourdough website and book. Making a sourdough starter isn't hard but it does take time and a few cool tools. Fortunately the BGE is a fantastic baking oven!

DSCN0084.jpg
The "raws"-- just a ball o yeasty dough using an Italian yeast culture from Camaldoli region near Naples, proofed for 12 hours, then shaped and proofed for 3 more.

DSCN0085.jpg
Puffed up like a Corn Pop but what a crust! 15min at 425 then 40min at 375, turned once and spritzed a couple of times with water.

DSCN0088.jpg
The finished product- very hearty, dipped great in EVOO and a very mild taste, not sour at all.

Comments