Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Masters--tell me of salmon jerky

Options
Ogre
Ogre Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright, I was a little flustered by my last post and forgot to ask my second question.[p]Being the intrepid outdoorsman I wish to make salmon jerky for my next outing. The problem is that I haven't the slightest idea of how to do it. I imagine a curing process would be involved aside from simply smoking the fish. [p]Come on people--astonish me with your wisdom! Thanks in advance--again.[p]Ogre

Comments

• Ogre,
    this is also known as Squaw candy. I would use alder if you want to get a more authentic flavor.

[ul][li]Squaw Candy[/ul]
  • Ogre
    Ogre Posts: 7
    Options
    Don Sparks,[p]Looks good but the use of liquid smoke is anathema to me. Maybe Ill just omit that portion of the recipe and rely on the smoking abilities of my egg. It doesnt seem essential to the recipe anyway. Thanks for your help.[p]Ogre

• Ogre,[p]yeah, I think the liquid smoke is for the home bakers. If you smoke it, I suggest not using it.
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Hey Don, Thanks for the link. That site is full of interesting salmon recipes.
  • alternity
    Options
    Ogre,
    This is what I'd do. freeze salmon until semi frozen so you can slice it thin. It dosent need a very long marinade. It wont need much smoke for very long and keep teh temps as low as possible. Id then advise a food dehydrator for teh final hours. Low temps and a little smoke for maybe an hour then dehydrator for teh remaing 6 or 8 hours. Temps never getting more than 130 if possible. I made some last year and it tasted like beef jerky. Yummy!
    alt