Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leftover day...any good Onion Recipe's?

Options
Ohio Boy in DC
Ohio Boy in DC Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kind of throwing together dinner now, ribs (on the egg now), a creamy caesar salad and some garlic bread...[p]Looking around the pantry I've got a ton of onions left over...[p]Any thoughts?[p]Thanks...

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ohio Boy in DC, here's one that YB has used. It calls for Vidalia Onions but others should work. I would also put the casserole in the Egg for teh final cooking:[p]Savory Stuffed Vidalia Onions
    A full meal in itself. [p]Ingredients:
    4 large Vidalia Onions,peeled
    1 3 oz package cream cheese,soften
    3 slices bacon,cooked and crumbled
    1/4 cup chives
    1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1/2 tsp salt and garlic salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 drops red pepper sauce
    1/4 cup whipping cream and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    garnish
    20 boiled shrimp
    parsley
    Preparation Directions:
    1 Steam onions by wrapping each one in a damp paper towel.Microwave at 100% for about 10 minutes or until tender.
    2 Spoon out inside pulp leaving 3 outer layers of onion.You should have a circular opening.
    3 Place in a casserole dish.Set a side.Combine all other ingredients except garnish.
    4 Place stuffing mixture equally into each of the steamed onions.
    5 Microwave for 2 or 3 minutes at 100% untill well heated.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Garnish each stuffed onion with 5 boiled shrimp around top edge of onion.
    2 Sprinkle center with parsley.

Author: Larry Ward (YB)
    Source: 1990 Vidalia onion festival grand prize winner[p]

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Ohio Boy in DC,
    Here is one I do with steaks that calls for Vidalias as well.[p]Peel and chop off the ends of the onion. Dig out some of the middle so you have a sort of cup. fill this w/ a beef boullion cube, a pat or 2 of butter, S&P, and fill w/ red wine. Wrap in a double layer of foil and egg until tender. (About an hour at 400+.)

• Ohio Boy in DC
    Options
    Wise One,
    Man, that looks good, I think I'll try the technique with Blue Cheese, some rehydrated Porcini's and leave out the shrimp...(pantry day)[p]I'll let you know how it goes...[p]

• Ohio Boy in DC
    Options
    bigmikej,
    Thanks, I think I'll try this technique at the Rib temp (350 indirect and combine it with some of the elements of Wise one to go with the ribs)[p]I'll have to try yours when I get some good Vidalias that can stand on their own![p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ohio Boy in DC, please do. That sounds like a good doctoring.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    This works magic with any onion and it's too simple. Just take the peeled onion and kind of butterfly it with your knife, sort of making a blooming onion. Place the onion on a square of foil and fold the foil up. Place a healthy chunk of butter and your favorite rub in on top and twist the foil up. Place on grill and cook until onion carmelizes. It's quicker done direct, but it works indirect, too.[p]Jim
  • ChefFubar
    Options
    Ohio Boy in DC,

• ChefFubar
    Options
    Ohio Boy in DC,
    I followed a couple of your posts, but you lost me on the last one. Good Vidalia onions??? No such thing. Vidalia and Texas (1019???)are for folks that hate onions! The first clue is "Vidalias are great, taste like an apple". If it is an apple you are after, go for a Roma, Delicious, or Granny Smith.
    I love to cook and travel, and have bunches of recipes from the USA and Europe: if a recipe calls for 2 medium onions, how many Vidalias would be the equivalent?? Can't be done! Substitute and apple and you will be better off.[p]I have not noticed you on the forum before. Welcome aboard, and good luck.

• ChefFubar
    Options
    ChefFubar,
    What a chore! we are having a bit of electrical problems in the hood, and I did not realize that parts of my interrupted posts were coming across. I assummed they were aborted, but now see that each partial note was indeed transmitted. Sorry about that!!

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    JSlot,
    First let me state that most good recipies start with oinion. Try that same proceedure with a shot of brown sugar on the onion before wrapping it.

• Ohio Boy in DC
    Options
    ChefFubar,
    No worries, I actually read in a food science book that Vidalia's taste worse when you cook them and lose sweetness...[p]Gotta agree, I like them chopped on hamburgers and the like but if I'm cooking onions, good cheap yellow do just fine