Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Generic Grill Cookbook for My Son?

RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We gave our son our fairly new Blue Flame gas grill when we bought our BGE, and I'm looking for a grilling cookbook which will inspire him to shoulder more of the responsibility for meals. They're having a baby in May and I know his wife would really appreciate the help. Any suggestions for an easy cookbook which would appeal to a guy?

Comments

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Hi Leslie,

I really got interested in grilling (and completely took over the task) after getting Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill". It has some good step-by-step photos for the newer griller.

I also like the Weber books from Jamie Purviance. The new "Way to Grill" might be a good choice there.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • I liked the BBQ bible by Steve Raichlen both when I was a heathen Griller and now that I have my BGE.

Doug
  • Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill" is a great teaching tool. Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill is a great book for sauces and a bit more detailed meal.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I am a fan of Peace Love and BBQ, by Mike and Amy Mills.

If you just want a great cookbook that covers the entire range, I recommend Best Recipe, by the folks that publish Cooks Illustrated.
  • Al Roker's Big Bad Book of BBQ is worth some consideration.
  • Those all look very good. I was especially interested in CI's Best Recipes because I've never heard of that one, and the reviews made it sound really good. I'm tempted to get that for myself, but for him, I think How to Grill, by Raichlen, will work best because it's illustrated and it focuses on grilling alone. Although I may be wrong, I don't see my son as a cook apart from the grill, but who knows? In either case, the Raichlen book should get him started. Thanks!
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    I would recommend Weber's Big book of Grilling.
    My husband didn't grill until I bought him this cookbook. He made wonderful recipes with it. The cooking times were down to a tee. Most of the recipes are done with the grill top closed. So that is a good step in the direction of cooking on the BGE. He can take over when he comes home for a visit. But then he'll want one and his Blue Flame can become his accessory cupboard.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    The Weber Book is excellent.
  • The Weber book did get good reviews but I already ordered the other one. I think it will seem more accessible to him because of all the illustrations, since he's really not experienced in cooking. He lives nearby, so he has his little kingdom and we have ours; he was definitely impressed with the egg, though, when we made ribs on it for them. I think he may get one eventually but it's a big ticket item, for sure!
  • mkc
    RiverRat wrote:
    I was especially interested in CI's Best Recipes because I've never heard of that one

Leslie,

There are actually several versions of "The Best Recipe". There's the original one, an expanded one that came out a few years later (has some but doesn't have all the recipes of the original), and a new one just out this year (which might be "More Best Recipes"). There are also the "Best Light Recipes", "Best Grilling Recipes", etc.

I have the first two comprehensive "Best Recipes" plus many of the annuals. I've been meaning to see how much duplication of recipes there is between the annuals and the comprehensive books since I have a serious cookbook storage overflow problem :blush: ...
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Michelle, I have a serious cookbook overflow here, too, along with an even more serious book overflow! In fact I was just looking at "Chocolate and Zucchini" today and wondering whether I really needed it, but I couldn't think who else would want it. DS and DIL aren't into cooking the way I am....

Do you like the CI books, though?

I just ordered "Je Sais Cuisiner." It's just come out in an English version, adapted by the author of "Chocolate and Zucchini," but I wanted to see how the original was. Plus the English version is absolutely huge!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Honestly, it may take more than one book......Like mentioned above, I would consider any of the Weber series, or some of the Raichlen books as being generic, and they contain some essential information. If you want to be a little more inspiring, take a look at Dr. BBQ's first book, Dr. BBQ’s Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Ray is an avid Egger and still posts here from time to time. Furthermore, his techniques and reasoning are very straightforward. Once you master technique, you can create your own recipes.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Thirdeye, that book looks excellent too, but I gotta see if he even READS this one. It may languish on a shelf somewhere, for all I know. If he seems interested I can always get more later. Some people just don't like cookbooks, I suspect, and he may be one of them. He does cook sometimes, but I don't know if he's ever actually followed a recipe. This is virgin territory here!
  • mkc
    RiverRat wrote:
    Michelle, I have a serious cookbook overflow here, too,

Do you like the CI books, though?

Leslie,

I had to think about this before responding. I do use the CI books as an occasional reference for cooking methods, carving, and foundation recipes. If you like the magazine, they are produced in very similar design, just organized like a regular cookbook (appetizers, vegetables, meat, fish, dessert, etc.)

For cooking inspiration, though, I tend to turn to cuisine-specific books.

I'd recommend looking over the CI books in a brick and mortar bookstore to see if they're something you'd use. With your culinary experience you might find they cover a lot of what you already know.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • You're probably right, and I really don't need another generic cookbook. I should go through my shelves and weed out things like Indian cooking which I'm probably never going to use, and even if I were interested there are newer, better books out there now!