Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alton cooks briney butts!

Hoss
Hoss Posts: 14,600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do any of ya'll brine Boston Butts??I never have.Just wondering! :huh: :S

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Yeah, AB likes his brines. He probably just needed to fill some time for the show. Lets face it, butt is about the easiest cook in the book.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i Tried a butt "brine" once... i think it was the lazy man's brine...

i took a 9 lb butt and "brined" in a couple 2 liter of Dr. Pepper. i figured sould make "A Diffrence"......

it did not..

but give it a try let me know how it turns out....

i am brining a turkey now to cook on saturday it is my first brine doubt it will "Flip my Wig" ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    I call BULLcrap!On brining a butt!I can see some dry cuts,but a BUTT???I don't know maybe they use a gasser!!! :ohmy:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hoss...I DO admit...I brine every chop and loin I cook....(and ALL poultry)....even if only for an hour or two. I also admit, we have never brined a butt....(though I may have to consider it....) :blink: For my short brines like chops and loins, I make a pretty powerful mix, and I have to admit, the flavor brought to the party IS legit. I may have to think about it on the next butt....and will let you know....lol...though it sounds like you have made up your mind!! :huh: B) May help with flavor, but not as convinced on the moisture. We'll experiment soon...LOL
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    How long would you brine a chicken ? In what kind of brine(s) ?

Thanks.

gary
  • Little Chef
    Gary....I use a mix of 3 parts kosher salt to one part sugar....and a good amount of a stong mix like (shudder at the thought...lol...but it works! ) Emerils essence! A few bay leaves, a couple sprigs of fresh thyme....and good to go! As a 'for instance'....a whole bird, rinsed well. Take a gallon zip lock, add approximately 3/4 c kosher salt, 1/4 c sugar, and 3 Tablespoons Emerils essence....add a couple of cups of water....swish around a bit to start dissolving the salt and sugar, and add the bird. Once you add the bird, add more water IF needed to cover the bird. Brine for one hour minimum, but no more than 4 (for chicken). Remove bird, rinse well inside AND out....pat dry. If you really want crispy skin, allow it to dry UNcovered in the fridge overight. If you don't have time....no problem!! Just cook as it is...patting skin dry as well as you can before the cook....it will still be excellent.
    And yes...I have heard the brine vs no brine arguments, but I can't be swayed. There is no comparison in my book.
    And FWIW....the above brine will work for thick chops and pork roasts as well......
    Wishing you the best!!

Note: Remember...there IS a MAJOR difference between table and kosher salt!! If you MUST use table salt, cut the amount in half!! And get kosher salt for the next one....lol!
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I know about brining but never thought of brining chicken. thanks for the info.

Gary
  • Little Chef
    Just a warning....IMO...Once you do....you will never return to NOT brining your bird.... :whistle: The flavor difference IS marked. ;) (as long as the brine has good flavor!) Just remember, ignore the salt content, but TASTE the brine....if the brine tastes good, the bird will too)
    PS...Thick cut pork chops are even better!!! :laugh:
  • Hoss
    I was expecting several opinions.I assure you,I respect yours!!!I think I'm gonna try the A.B. brining,pickling salt,bottled water,mollases.Just to see. :huh: Will post pics!!! ;)
  • Hoss
    Darnit!!I thought YOU were the essence!!! :laugh: Peace,Love & BBQ!!!ESSENCE OF LC!!! :laugh:
  • Hoss
    I'm gonna try it! :)
  • Little Chef
    Will you be my first Taste Tester for MY recipe???? :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    Believe it or not, I will be surprised if you do NOT notice the difference. Truly...it is a marked (internal) flavor difference. I will try it on butts soon....within the week, and we can compare notes. ;)
    Just make sure the brine is stong flavored....like you say...YUCK as a marinade. Only so much flavor exchange can happen through osmosis....make the best of it. B)
  • Hoss
    I'm thinkin picklin salt and Mollasses!Your thoughts??? :huh:
  • Hoss
    LC,if you cook it,I ain't scared!The worst thing you ever cooked,that I tasted was awesome!!! B)
  • Little Chef
    Keep thinkin!!! :laugh: Great start, NO doubt.... then add some pickling spice, crashed garlic cloves.... and whatever else floats your boat!! Taste the brine, and as long as it tastes twice as strong as you would like a marinade to taste (especially in salt content), you are SPOT on! (I swear!) Just remember to rinse well and pat dry after brining. ;) Hoss... If you don't flip over some nice 2" loin chops, or loin roast, I will buy you a new pork loin. ;)
    BTW...BEWARE....Pickling salt is twice as strong as kosher, so adjust accordingly or :pinch:
  • Hoss
    Gotcha!Got a pork tenderloin in the fridge beggig for an eggsperiment! ;) Lasses and spice it is!!! :)
  • Little Chef
    Wooo Hooo!!! :woohoo: Tenderloin wont need more than 1 hour.....two if you must. Thanks for trying!! Results tomorrow???? :laugh: Can't WAIT to spend time with you in FL!!! :)
  • Hoss
    Will post results!Florida may fall into the sea with all of us there!Oh well!!!I can't wait!!! :)
  • I did once. It tasted like ham. I will never do it again.