Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Surf and Turf

Options
SubVet
SubVet Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is a nice Cowboy Steak and a couple of grilled lobster tails done the BGE way:

IMG_1704.jpg

Comments

• EggieG
    EggieG Posts: 81
    Options
    That's eat'n good in your neighborhood. :woohoo:

Time to look for some lobsters on sale!!!
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    That is so awesome.
    did you TRex the steak?
    gp
  • toothpick
    Options
    Good gracious that looks tasty. :woohoo: Way to go! Did you eat both potatoes? ;)
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Yum, that looks great! I have 3 New York Strips and 2 lbs. of shrimp to grill up for Sunday and can't wait.

Bruce
  • SubVet
    Options
    Tennisbum wrote:
    That is so awesome.
    did you TRex the steak?
    gp

Okay - Splain that to me please! If you mean did I let it go full open to heat things up - YES - Of Course!

I did the potatoes first, then partially cooked the tails, opened the grill to "All Ahead Flank" - fired the beef, turned it and threw the tails on top of the steak until done.

It was spectacular!!!

Got the tails from Sam's and let them thaw to room temp before splitting and grilling.

We have a local food distributor called "Downtown Produce" where the Cowboy Ribeye came from - they are awesome steaks.
  • SubVet
    Options
    toothpick wrote:
    Good gracious that looks tasty. :woohoo: Way to go! Did you eat both potatoes? ;)

The steak alone was nearly 3 pounds!!! My bride and I both enjoyed it. I got the lion's share of the beef and got to chew off the bone before giving it to the mongrels... LOL

IMG_1391.jpg
  • toothpick
    Options
    Those look like some worthy mongrels. Sounds like everyone had a good meal. Thanks for the great pics. Keep 'em coming!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    TRex is a method of cooking a steak, or any other thick cut of meat (Not roast). It involves cranking the egg up to nuke temps with the dome open and searing the beef / chop for 90-120 min a side then pulling it off allowing it to rest for 20 minutes. During this time you are lowering the temp of your grill to 400. After 20 minutes you put the meat back on for and end roast of 2-4 minutes a side, till done to your likeness. I use to like 135° but now I like 128° for beef and 138° for pork.

Yours looks absolutely fabulous and not sure if TRex would improve on the end result.

I miss ole TRex. Haven't seen him around here lately. Here is his web-site, and the method is also on The Naked Whiz's site.

http://www.houseoffaulkner.com/BGE.html