Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Vinyl Covers - Regular vs. Ventilated

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had previously posted my disappointment with the 5TC vinyl cover which is made for a large egg with extra long table. I felt that it was very poorly constructed and fitted. It is made of poor quality vinyl, stitched poorly, leaks, and doesn't fit the table/egg combo.

I returned it to the seller.

I replaced it with the V5TC cover which is more expensive. I had thought that the only difference was that it is ventilated. I was wrong. The V5TC is form fitted, stitched well, and is made of a durable but pliable vinyl material. It is a little higher off the ground on the egg side of the table..however..it is entirely acceptable. I am pleased with this cover. Here are photos of the two different covers...I think you'll notice which is the V5TC and which is the 5TC. I hope this helps some of you make a decision on which cover is right for you.

IMG_5977.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

Comments

• MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures. I have the cover shown in your top picture. I like it very much, but it is annoying that BGE doesn't make the cover a little longer on the Egg side. If I take the ceramic cap off before putting the cover on, the cover fits a little better, but it still seems like the thing could be a little better designed.

I think they don't account for the fact that people put the Egg on a paving stone and use the little feet on the table. If you just sit the Egg on the table, the cover would fit better. Of course, your table might well catch fire, but at least the cover would fit...... :huh:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    That is one Big difference and I'm willing to bet you have helped more then one that is looking to get one.

Great Job,
    Bordello
  • Matt_inSC
    Options
    I'm with you on the quality of the vented cover. I have a cover for my large egg that is not vented (not sure if material on non-vented table cover is same as non-vented egg cover) but the look/feel of the vented cover is way better.

BUT - I have an issue with the vent. The vent sits more or less horizontal when in place so rain gets in. I built my own table (using the whiz's plans) and the general dimensions are very similar to those of the BGE brand table. In looking at your picture I think I have some more table top to the right of the egg (where the vent is) than you. Any chance you could measure yours for me? I think I'll need to put something on top of the table when covered to 'puff out' the cover and hold the vent vertically. Way too much work in finishing the table to have water coming through already. :ohmy:
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Sure...what dimensions do you want? do you just want the space between the side of the egg and the edge of the table?

Also..forgot to mention...the ventilated cover has velcro on one side wich makes removal and replacement of the cover a bit easier.
  • Matt_inSC
    Options
    Measure the distance from the egg to the outer edge of the table on the right hand side. I believe in your setup the egg is offset to the right of the table - if so, measure the distance from the right of the egg to the right edge of the table top.

thanks
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    6.5" from the egg to the edge
  • Matt_inSC
    Options
    thanks - I'll check mine when I get home but I don't think mine's much more than that.
    I'll post a pic as well.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi All
    I just bought a BGE cover for my large. The only reason
    I purchased was I found out hard way that if the felt
    on BGE gets wet, rain snow etc, and then temps get to freezing and below, I almost could not lift lid cause
    froze together. So to do no damage to Gasket I got
    a cover. Will just use for winter. I don't think
    under normal conditions, the rain can bother the exterior of the egg, thats my 2 cents BullyC
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    I agree Bully.....but my cypress wood table with 4 coats of urethane does need some protection. I'd rather not have a cover at all....for ease of use....but I sure put a lot of work into my table and wish to protect it.
  • Matt_inSC
    Options
    I measured and my spacing is about the same - maybe 8.5 inches. I stacked a couple pieces of wood on the table and that seems to hold the vent up vertically. I'll monitor after some rain now.
    Here's a picture w/out the wood
    CIMG3703.jpg

Here it is with the spacers
    CIMG3699.jpg

Low-budget spacers
    CIMG3701.jpg
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I wish they had the vented cover for the XL in a table. :angry: I have the same problem you had with my un vented cover. :(
  • Where can I get a V5TC vented grill cover for my large table