Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pitmasters Episode 1

Options
Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So what'd you think of the first episode??

I freakin' loved the show. Never having been to a competition before, I was stunned by how simple and/or complex it can be. Everything from custom built rigs all the way down to simple eggs and even that set of WSMs with a stoker! Makes me think that I might actually be able to do it sometime!

The egg coming crashing down caused my heart to leap up into my throat. Just imagine what kinds of winds would have had to be blowing to topple one of those beasts! Thinking something else must have blown over and knocked into it or something.

Loved the cupcake pan trick for cooking chicken breasts. Going to have to give that a shot some time. That was freakin' cool.

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Loved the show, gotta say that group was pretty dysfunctional though! Lotta smack talk, and it looks like a lot more to come.

I got all beamie when she said she NEEDS that Egg for chicken and beef.
  • Griller
    Options
    I enjoyed the episode. I've always been curious how those competitions work so it was cool to see that play out. There was a lot of smack talk going on but I just wonder if that is to play it up for TV effect. My mouth was on the floor when the guy was drowning his charcoal with lighter fluid. Didn't seem to hurt him in the end...

I have to admit throughout the show I was envisioning the wife and me getting an RV and visiting the competitions. Any eggers out there do that?

Looking forward to the next episode.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    There are quite a number of egg teams around the contry, one of the best is Jus fer fun, Poppasam & Ms. Diane, se the prayer concerns for her below.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Pretty sure it was chicken thighs in the muffin pan.

Yes, it can be simple or complex. There's a lot that goes into a competition and lots of hours spent on detail. Cooking the meat is only half the battle.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Am I missing something, the only reason for the muffin pan would be for the compatition?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    The judges like all the meat to be uniform in size so the muffin trick accomplshes that...i thought the show was great.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I tried - I really did but it was on past my bedtime :ermm:

Fell asleep in my recliner about the time the young cocky dude from Texas showed up. :blink:

Next time I'll skip the half bottle of wine with dinner :lol:

Nice Spanish wine

2006 Crianza - Marques de la Concordia Rioja
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I fell asleep during it too, but that's what DVRs are for. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

What station/chanel was it on, maybe I can catch a rerun.

GG
  • last_option
    Options
    I think that Paul guy is a plant. Who the heck drive all those hours and has two pits and doesn't know that you don't do whole chickens? And the way he was doing his presentation, just throwing the meat in the turn in box, come on! Definitely thrown in for drama, he probably isn't even a cook, some Hollywood actor.

But I love the show!!! Did a comp with a friend of mine a few months ago up at viejas in california and I think the trash talking is just good fun. Every one jokes that they are throwing their chicken on the grill 12 hours before turn in.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    For the prize money in Mesquite you would have been surprised at the teams there. I bet half came from 10 hours or more. I know there were guys there from Ohio, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, and well beyond.

I like this show that it gives more insight to comp BBQ to those who don't really know a lot about it. This weekend in Tempe there are three guys competing for Team of the Year who have been to Arizona, North Carolina, Florida and back to Arizona all in a little over a month because cause the race is so tight. They are traveling thousands of miles for this.

Paul is a restaurant cook. Not sure his place on the series vs another contestant. But the whole chickens. Butt Rub does whole chickens and wins a lot. But I am sure his box looks nicer than Pauls.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    they picked a realty show type cast:

couple wyle ole veterans,
    easy on the eyes female,
    good natured family man,
    cocky upstart buck.

I enjoyed it for what is was.....prime time TV.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Well the guy with the lighter fluid is Myron Mixon of "Jack's Old South" who is from Georgia and has won many comps, including mulitples at Memphis in May.
    Earlier this year he did the BBQ class at the Mothership as part of the "Big Green Egg Academy".
    While I would never use lighter fluid or talk about how stupid my cohorts are, he does deserve alot of respect.
    The thing I am taking away from the show most of all, is his time/temp methodology for butts and brisket. I'm sure he cooked to temp like one should, but he went hot/fast rather than lo/slow...and he won Grand Champion. I understand he got into that a little during the BGE class as well. I have done one butt that way after hearing the rumor out of the class and could not tell a difference. It may very well become the norm for how I do larger cuts of meat for BBQ.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Byron will tell you his worst category is chicken..

Anybody doing a KCBS competition knows you don't do whole chickens and you don't throw the stuff in the box and call it a day..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Every competition I have been in the competitors were more like Tuffy and less like Myron and Johnny. Smack talk is one thing, but Myron was pure arrogant..

For the record: Myron isn't even listed on the KCBS site in any category for that competition. He competed in two competitions that week-end with the same name. That is against the KCBS rules..
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I would like to also note that although Myron won this contest, he also had entered Jack's Old South in another contest on the same weekend. I believe it was Dobie(I might be wrong) cooked in that contest and he also won grand champion. Because you can't cook two contest under the same name, Myron forfeited the grand champion in Mesquite. This was done a few days after the contest but the show didn't mention that.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I absolutely LOVED the show. Especially after experiencing the American Royal competition this year. Tuffy Stone was cooking right across from the Dizzy Pig camp, Johnny Trigg was there too. I had recorded it so I even watched it again this morning when I was working out. The only thing I didn't like was that they focused only on a few of the teams. "Smoking Goatheads" which is "Lovehandles" (Mike Love's) team was never shown once and they took 1st in chicken, and it was their very 1st competition. That's pretty impressive when you're competing against the top 47 teams in the country.
    I'm looking forward to the next episode...can't wait!!
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Yep. He forgot about it because Mesquite was last minute. I just posted about that and he had a very nice post on another forum about the confusion.
  • reelgem
    Options
    I think that would be fun to get an RV and go to the competitions. I've been to a few and they are really fun to go to....as a spectator. :) I would NEVER ever want to compete. Being a helper would be fun, but that's as far as I would go. It's unbelievable how much work and money goes into one of those competitions.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    46.. That idiot in Texas could be beat by my grandkids..
  • reelgem
    Options
    Oh brother.....sorry....46. You don't miss anything
    Mr. Perfect!!! :laugh: :P
  • when are you gonna publish the recipe for those 84th place ribs of yours? :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Come on Anne even you have to admit he was no where near a top team..

Whole chickens and they were burnt. He let his fire go out. He threw his ribs into the box and they looked burnt. I noticed they didn't show his pork or brisket entries.

He's supposedly a top chef and he has zero presentation skills..

A top competition team he is not..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I never have said I was better then everyone and they were 34th.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    If you say so..
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Okay, I'll be the lone dissenter. I didn't fall asleep, but wish I had. Didn't seem to be any different from any of the other comp shows broadcast in the past. I didn't really pay much attention to the build up for the show, but had the impression it was going to be something new and different. It wasn't. Mixon is in all of them and he's arrogant in all of them (this show, even worse than usual). And then there was the bleeping.

And the kid who fell asleep? The name of the show implies, no SAYS, that these people are pitMASTERS. Apparently not. Wonder if he got a "Certificate of Participation". :blink:

I gather that this same collection of folks will be on all the episodes? Too bad. I found myself not caring who won. And wondering why they didn't even film all those who DID. I was hoping that Mixon wouldn't win for a change. At least he had to forfeit. :)

Oh and I saw a post somewhere, written by a guy who said he was there, saying that the egg really was blown over by the 50-60 MPH wind. That it was not staged for TV. True or false, I don't know.

There. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• reelgem
    Options
    Ron, that would have been a bargain to go to Myron Mixon's class at the mothership. His cooking school "Jack's Old South Cooking School" charges 750.00/person 1300.00/couple. Bobby Cresap, Poppasam and have attended it, and both have been Grand Champions.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    It was okay. If I was Myron's Dad, I'd wash his mouth out with soap.

For anyone thinking about competing, I have done it with two larges and one small. The smack talk really only happens with the teams you know. Everyone else is very nice to each other, especially the teams you are meeting for the first time.

You would think the guy that just threw his chicken in the box would have done a little research on what the judges are looking for...I think he was probably told to wing it for the first one and see how it goes....good for tv.