Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Grid Question

Options
Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you keep your CI grid on the egg full time? Or do you switch back and forth between the stainless steel and the CI?

And if you do switch, what do you cook on the CI and what do you cook on the stainless?

I just assumed that I'd use the CI grid for everything now, but then I realized that I should probably double check that with the experts!

Comments

• DrugCoder
    Options
    I keep it on the egg all the time. I haven't used my stainless since I got my CI.
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    Can not speak for others but I switch. Use the CI mostly for steak where I want to get those nice grid marks. All the rest I go with the other.
    gp
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Unless the small CI is on the spyder of the large it stays on the small all the time...The large egg has the CI on all the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lowercasebill
    Options
    i leave the cast iron on all the time i made a raised grid out of the original one with some nuts bolts and washers and if you have cast iron you need one of these . a thirdhand

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought the CI when I bought the egg. Have never used the OEM grid.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sooner Egg
    Options
    I keep it on all the time, it's the only grid I cook on
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    I do love the fact that the original grate can be used (with some added bolt-for-legs) as a second grate!
    What a deal! A "win-win" situation...

RicklesssssssssS
  • Blazer
    Blazer Posts: 47
    Options
    I use the CI grid for nearly everything, even on the inverted platesetter. But when I need a raised grid for a "direct" cook, I use the OEM with 3 added feet, made from slightly bent 3.5" X 1/4" stainless steel carriage bolts, nuts and washers.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I use both but, I for sure sear with my CI grate. I took some rectangle pieces of steel 1"X 2" and cut them 3" long. So, I can be 2" or 3" above the CI grate and I use my third hand to move the grates around. Tim

Anyway, I make things and I enjoy that part of using a BGE as well right or wrong.

000_1246.jpg

000_1239.jpg
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    I use both but, I for sure sear with my CI grate. I took some rectangle pieces of steel 1"X 2" and cut them 3" long. So, I can be 2" or 3" above the CI grate and I use my third hand to move the grates around. Tim

Fategghead,
    That's clever! What are you using to bring the level of the lower C.I. grate up to the gasket height?
    Making stuff for the BGE is a hobby of mine as well!

Ooops! Don't know why my comment didn't get seperated from your original quote...
    It doesn't look like this one will either, judging by the "preview".
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    only the ci grid
    - steve
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Ricklesss, That is my platesetter under the CI grate. I have not cooked in this rig yet but I set it up to cook on a raised direct. I also have the BGE extended grate.

Now in this picture I never cooked like this but, I can close the dome.

000_1185.jpg

This is a 16" charcoal grate from Lowes. I'm not sure how long I want the bolts therefore how high I want the grate to be.

000_1186.jpg

000_1187.jpg

I have used it for a cooling rack for the bread I baked. I even have some other gadgets. Tim

000_1135.jpg
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    2Fategghead,
    Thanks so much for those very clear photos!
    I just picked up the bolts & washers to do what you did, still saving up for the C.I. grate....(what with X-mas and all. :blush:

I like your set up! How long do you think your legs will be? (not your legs, silly, the set-up...)
    Think I'm going with 5".
    Guess I should test measure a bunch of pork butts and stuff.
    Thanks again for showing me your set-up!
    PS It kind of make's wonder what all else you've fabricated up...
    I've made a stainless steel egg table, wiggle rods.
    Working on the extended rack, and a new handle for the egg now.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Ricklesss, Mine are 5½" I guess I can always cut them off and I think they are to long. But, really I have not cooked with it yet. I remember Nature Boy saying on a post one time something like having the raised grate so high above the lump for a raised direct cook. I don't the measurement or the cook. Sorry :blush:

Below is two links where I posted making a Potato ring skewer thingy. The first link is right after I had it made. The second link is when I refined it to look and work better.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=731051&catid=1#

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=731750&catid=1#

000_1286.jpg

000_1287.jpg

000_1288.jpg

See here is where I cranked up the pit to 500° with the CI grate and the potato ring. I had two potato's skewered for an hour and then I seared my hot tub steaks using a broken pampered chef pizza stone for the indirect side. I actually baked the potato's first. The potato's turn out oh so flaky and done! :P

000_1036.jpg

Here is a meat loaf cook.

000_0895.jpg

Since I did that I worked on having a grate under and above this gadget as well as putting legs on it. Tim