Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Shun Ken Onion 3pc Knife Set - Amazon Sale

Options
bryansj
bryansj Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Though this is off topic I'm sure someone here might be interested.

Amazon's Gold Box deal of the day is a Shun Ken Onion 3 piece knife set for $199.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/discussion/A2KTQZGV692OCH/ref=cm_cd_gb_ef_tft_tp?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx20DX5GEB7TUX8&cdThread=Tx2YP5BBLUZP85H

"Designed by Ken Onion, one of the world's top knife designers, and manufactured in Seki City, Japan, the home of Shun knives, this 3-piece set includes a 3-inch paring knife, 4-inch chef's knife, and 7-inch hollow-ground santoku. The set is made of VG-10 Japanese super steel, known for edge retention, and has a Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61. The VG-10 core has 16 layers of high-carbon stainless steel on each side."

I'm fighting the urge to buy this set since what I really want is an 8 to 10 inch chef's knife instead of the 4 incher.

Comments

• thegrillster
    Options
    I am sure the quality of these knives is good. Especially for the price.

I don't know too much about these but I do need some good knives.

Does anyone have any specific comment about the usefulness of these particular sizes? Are all of these useful?

Are these actually Shun knives?

thanks
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Wow, That's a great price for the set. I know a fellow who was allowed to use a Ken Onion Santoku for a few meals, and said despite the odd shape, it felt really good in his hand.

The VG-10 steel is really nice. It will take a very low angle bevel, and hold it well.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Go for it.
    I have 2 of the 3 and paid more than that.
    Very good knives, first ones to reach for.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Excellent point... it felt really good in HIS hand. I checked out the Ken Onions a while back and they just didn't feel right in MINE. Admittedly, I was in a store and not in my kitchen, but I didn't care for the feel at all. I hear they are nice knives though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EgginDawg
    Options
    It WAS a great deal- they're sold out. :(
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    the 8" alone cost me $189 last year and i got the 4" this year and paid $89 for it.

this was a steal. i'd have bought a set had i not missed it.