Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker + Mac

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone use a Stoker w/ a Mac? Thinking about getting a controller and the Stoker looks pretty good. The geek in me likes the computer/iPhone monitoring from remote location. Not sure I understand the whole set up, but someone w/ a Stoker please jump in here. Does the controller have to be connected via ethernet cable, or is it wireless? Could I use my Airport Express to connect the Stoker? My AE is set to extend the range of my Airport Extreme and stream iTunes, so it would be easy to run cable from it to the Stoker. After it is all connected, can you change any settings on the controller remotely, or only monitor the temps? The website says that it now communicates w/ Twitter and will send you Tweets (not sure how often or for what reason, eg: a parameter being violated). Sounds like this was just made for iPhone users. If all the computer hook up is just for being able to monitor from afar and making charts/grafts for the Uber-geek, then it is probably far more technology than I need to just control my fire.

One downside I see to the Stoker is the fan: Looks like you have to remove the fan/adapter assembly from the Egg when you are done, rather than leaving the adapter in and plugging the opening like w/ Guru. The fan has a damper that opens when fan on, and closes (gravity) when fan off. Prevents natural draft, but I read on another forum that the damper can stick in the open mode even when fan not running. The 10cfm fan w/ the Guru has a manual damper that remains open even when the fan is not running (could create natural draft when fan not running). These are probably insignificant since either gadget is bound to do a better job of maintaining a temp than I can manually.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Not me but, I know there is someone here that does. Hopefully they will chime in. I remember them talking about their cook going and being out for a long walk and always being able to check and adjust their cook remotely. Good luck! Tim
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    The equipment you currently own is all you need (I have the same stuff).

It took me a total of about 30 minutes to get the Stoker out of the box and being controlled from my iphone. I was prepared for some frustration in getting it to work right, but on the Mac, it just worked.

Here's what you do:

Get your Airport Express and plug it in to the Stoker using an ethernet cable. Turn on the AE, but not the Stoker.

Now go to the Airport Utility on your computer, and open up the AE. You need to reconfigure it from broadcasting itunes to participating in a WDS network.

4150621284_f5bab71939_o.png

In Leopard, go to WDS by clicking the 'manual setup' button, and click 'participate in WDS network", Now make note of the Airport Express ID (Mine ends in 33:25). Save that configuration, and wait for your Airport Express to reset (turn green again).

Next, go to your Airport Extreme hub, click on 'manual setup', and select WDS. Click on the plus sign to add wireless clients, and enter your Airport Express ID in that box:

4150621338_c985864ed0_o.png

You also need to go to the Access tab, and enter the following changes (the form fills itself out after you enter port forwarding and the ip address of your Airport Express http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=736494.

Reset the new settings on your Airport Extreme, and now turn on the Stoker, go back to the computer, and enter the ip address of your Airport Express into the url bar. In the top photo, you can see that my AE ip address is 10.0.1.232. That is what I enter into my url bar in Safari.

Now go to you iphone and do the same thing. OK, so you are now on your home network, but what if you go out (beyond the boundaries of your home network)?

For this, open your Airport Utility, and look at the summary for your Airport Extreme. It will list the ip address of your A Extreme. Now type that ip address into your iphone, computer, whatever internet device, and again, you are in business.

The business you are in is the Stoker's webpage, which allows you to monitor AND change the set pit temperature, food temperature settings, cooking alarms, and Twitter settings.

If you have Parallels or some PC program for your Mac, you can also use StokerLog, which is a free and really fun way to log and control your cooks.

The Stoker fan takes as long to attach and remove from the Egg as it does to open and close the damper. The fan has a tongue on the which fits into the bottom groove on the damper and then into the top groove, and the damper door slides shut on it to create the seal and hold it in place.

Mark
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Wow, thanks !! My BGE hasn't even been delivered yet, but I just printed your post out. I have a Mac and iPhone, and am geeky enough to want this setup after I get used to the manual cooking.

Thanks again !!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Looks like SkySaw answered the Mac connection issue.

The dampers. The 'natural draft' through the blower for the most part a non issue and for me, that would be almost on the bottom of issues in my decision of which unit to purchase.

I have both the DigiQII & Stoker. Yes there can be a natural draft issue with the q2 which may result in overshooting the target temperature. With the q2 I have the Viper (10cfm) blower and usually close down the manual damper to 1/3 or 1/4 open once at target temperature.

By closing down the DFMT (top damper) to almost closed you can prevent any potential problems with a natural draft on either unit.

You will end up removing the blower & mount from the egg no matter which unit you purchase, again not really a buying issue one way or the other.

As I recall the q2 & Stoker were about the same overall price. For complete ease I would have to say the q2 is the easiest.

The Stoker requires a little more button pushing which is not at all a problem. Stoker takes up a little more space. However, the Stoker can control many blowers (eggs) & food probes at one time. I have never purchased a second blower for the Stoker, however, I do use multiple food probes when I cook multiple pieces of meat.

For remote monitoring I am happy using the q2 & Maverick ET-73. Seldom do the two temperatures match on the q2 & ET-73. I just keep the delta on the ET-73 in mind and use the q2 and thermapen to tell me when the food is done.

For remote controlling a cook or monitoring several pieces of meat the Stoker is the answer.

Hope this helps.

GG
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Hi Gary - you're going to love your Egg! Manual control is a bit of a no-brainer once you get a bit used to it. I used my Egg for 3 years before getting the Stoker. I kinda wish I had dived into it sooner, but I'm glad I have it now.

With the Stoker and Stokerlog, I can keep logs of my cooks, and see how the cook responds to different temperatures. With a draft controller, there is real consistency, and the difference between cooking drumsticks direct at 250, at 300, and at 325 becomes apparent. This has helped me a great deal in improving my technique and in getting the results that I want. And when it comes to cooking, in the end it's all about how good the food is!

Mark
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

The Stoker requires a little more button pushing which is not at all a problem.

I think it all depends on how you use the Stoker. After the first day that I got mine, the only button I ever touch on my Stoker is on/off. The rest is all done from the computer keyboard (or iphone).

Mark
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks Mark. Don't leave the country - I may be calling on you for tech support in a few months. :woohoo:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SkySaw
    Options
    I'm Canadian, eh? :laugh:

When written as a bunch of instructions - first do this and then do that, it sounds fairly involved. Actually, it's very straightforward, and the Mac basically walks you through what you need to do. I have to admit that my only claim to technical expertise is the interest to get the functionality and the willingness to push some buttons.

I hope to get a detailed tutorial up on the web one day.

Mark
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    And a big round of thanks to SkySaw for the step by step w/ screenshots. Macs make this sort of thing easy so I just wanted to make sure that my Mac could talk to the Stoker. I assume the Guru CyberQ II can communicate w/ Macs also, but the Stoker just 'spoke' to the geek in me. I'll have to bookmark this page in case I get one 'cause I know I will need help setting it up.

I am on other forums where they have "Stickies", posts that are commonly referred to, so are locked by the administrators to prevent further replies and are stored in an easy to find area (an index of all "Stickies"). I would like to see something like that on this forum so that really great stuff like MM's turkey and this post could be locked, stored, and easily retrieved w/o having to use the search feature.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Buxwheat, The CyberQ II is a PC based Peripheral. Tim

But, Don't take my word for it contact them at 800-288-4878

Hope this helps. :)
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    ...So I searched Stoker and found some posts by Mac-gurus. Sounds like the guys were getting ready to write code for Mac based logging programs. Just wanted to know if right out of the box it would work. Thanks again.
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    This will probably end up being a really dumb question.....but I have a Mac and the Time Capsul that I use for wireless connection as well.

I'm assuming that this would allow me to have a similar setup to the "airport" setup outlined above....but could someone confirm??
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Hi Nole - I don't see why not. The Time Capsule would function like an Airport Extreme (i.e. the base station). You would need an Airport Express to connect to the Stoker outside to complete the setup.

Mark
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    What exactly is the "Airport" Express? Does it more or less turn the stoker into a "wireless" devise??
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    HELP!

I am getting desperately frustrated setting this up, and I consider myself reasonably adequate with tech stuff, but not a network wizard.

I cannot enter a full IP address in the advanced tab of the Airport Extreme I use as a base station. I found out the AE's address by going into the AE with Airport Utility, but the only set of numbers I can change in the private IP address is the last set.

Help?
  • SkySaw
    Options
    The private ip address that you enter into the Airport Extreme should be the ip address of your Airport Express.

The Airport Express' ip address should be something like 10.0.1.2

Your Airport Extreme should be the only device at this point that captures an ip address from your internet service provider (i.e., 169.254.xxx.xxx)

Mark
  • macminn
    macminn Posts: 12
    Options
    OK, here's what may seem like a strange question. Do I have to have internet to use the wireless logging, monitoring with the Stoker?
    The reason I'm asking, is I use the egg at my lake cabin, no internet access. I bring my laptop up there (Mac). I have my old airport express that I could bring up there as a "hub".
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Yes, that would work. You can use an Airport Express and the Macbook to set up a wireless network without the internet. I think people do this at comps all the time. And it should be very easy with the AE and a Mac.

I also plan to do this at my place at the lake - I just need to get an Egg out there.

Mark
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    I have a Mac and my Stoker is now on . I am doing 2 Pork Butts, 8 lb and 9lb If you would like to see the Stoker in action, let me know now via email, and I will tell you how to log on
  • macminn
    macminn Posts: 12
    Options