Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks-[p]When I have the time, I do the Trex method cooking steaks and it is really the way to go. However, periodically the wife pulls a couple steaks out of the freezer for dinner on nights when we really don't have the time for the 20 minute dwell etc. My question is, in situations such as this, how do you folks suggest cooking the steaks. Last night I had the fire up to about 650* and cooked these T-bones for about 3 1/2 minutes per side and they turned out great!! The only problem I had with this method was that I was kind of guessing at when I was at that nice medium rare point we both like. Fortunately, it worked out last night.[p]Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again for all your help.
Becks

Comments

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Becks in MN,
    Purchase a Quick Read Thermapen. A great cooking tool when in doubt[p]Howard

• Becks in MN,
    Before the Trex method, searing for 2 to 2.5 min. per side, then dwelling for 4 min or so per side (depending on the doneness desired) was popular, and is still a decent way. I agree that a thermopen is helpful here, but you can feel how done the steak is with your finger. BTW, "dwelling" is shutting both vents completely.
    jack

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Becks in MN, You know todays world. Busy, Busy, Busy. Hurry, Hurry, Hurry. I don't do the dwell thing either. 650 to 700 degrees and stand by the cooker. You can take a peek and see if black cook lines scored into meat. If so flip and second side takes less time. Possible thicker steaks would benefit from dwelling but the thinner(less than 1 inch) could be done like above. I put the steaks onto a heated platter and get plates together with other items. This would be easier with photo but once these babies are done I'm eating.