Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 8.5lb butts, How Long?

vonde1
vonde1 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all, new to the egg. I am loving it so far (25 years of qing on a Weber), it is like going from a Volkswagen to a Ferrari. I am getting ready to to a couple of 8.5 lb pork butts, does the 2lb/hr rule hold - am I looking at 34 hrs? Or will it be less? Used to take about that in my old Brinkman.

Comments

• Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    vonde1,
    Did my first butt last weekend. It was 8 lbs and took 19 hours. Follow Elder Ward's fire building and recipe to the letter and you can not go wrong.
    Good Luck
    Wino

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    vonde1,[p]I usually don't add the weight of the meats together...I did two 9 lb'ers a few weeks ago and they took about 22-23 hrs total...[p]Be sure to fill the firebox with lump, plus more up to about half way up the firering. I'm not a set it and completely forget it (though with the egg, you don't have to watch it like other cookers), so I usually keep an eye on it through the night rather than just going to bed. But having said that, for those last ones, after stabalizing the cooker for a couple hours, I checked them at midnight before going to bed, and then woke up about 3am and checked (they were still in the 225°-250° range I wanted), then woke again around 6am (again, still where I wanted). [p]You don't have to open the egg up and check the meat much, but after 12 or so hours, I usually open and use my ash tool to reach down below the plate setter or firebricks and give the lump a little stir to prevent center burn-out...[p]Have fun!
    Tonia
    :~)

• vonde1,
    The rule holds but the rule is per piece of meat, not the total weight of the meat. You should leave some airspace between the two butts so heat can circulate all around. I did four 8-pound butts last fall at 250 degrees and they took about what I expected a single butt to take.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    vonde1,
    WOW,
    I first read that as 28.5lb Butt, you put the fear of god into me. LOL[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• QBabe,
    Break down and get a Guru. No getting up-[p]
    look at the baby monitor and go back to sleep. Really this is the day of modern appliances. Also I'm lazy[p]Cheers
    Howard in Bartow

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    MRMH,[p]When I said checked, I really meant glanced at the Maverick monitor on the table next to me. I never really actually got up and walked out there and I seldom lose much sleep...[p]I'm one who LIKES the lazy day and occasional tinkering of a long slow cook, so I don't think a guru is in my future. But, then again, I always like hanging around the campfire too. Must be the pyromaniac in me...![p]Looking forward to seeing you in March at the Florida Fest![p]Tonia

[ul][li]Florida Fest 2004 - March 12th and 13th[/ul]
  • Thanks to all who replied, mission accomoplished with stellar results following Elder Ward instructions. I gotta tell ya, this is a cakewalk after some of my smoking experiences with a Brinkman.