Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Q

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Decided to cook a butt for dinner tonight so I planned to get up around 4 and have it on the egg by 5. Right. Woke up at 6! Almost went back to sleep cuz I knew it would be a late dinner! Put it on anyway, at 7AM.

Cook has been uneventful so far. Been 9 hours now and egg is dead steady at 250. No Guru or Stoker, just a full (fresh) load of WG and a (mostly) stable temp before I put the meat on. I was rushing it because of the late start, so the temp needed a little tweaking after an hour or so - not much though. Internal just reached 170 a short while ago. I figured dinner would be at 9PM at the earliest, but you never know I guess. It was almost 9 lbs so could be midnight!

Since I know how you guys LOVE your pics, here's a couple at 6 hours. The next pics I take will require a flash! Hmm, if I took one NOW it would require a flash! :lol: Anyway, more to come...

4154004596_9ac0505826_b.jpg

4154004834_99d4b676c9_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• EggieG
    EggieG Posts: 81
    Looking good so far. B)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If'n you are look'n you ain't cook'n..

put the camera down and walk away from the egg.
  • Carolina Q
    LOL, that's the second time I've heard that today! Geez, Pete, ya don't take pics, people whine. Ya DO take pics and people yell at you. Honest, it was only open for 30 seconds!! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Celtic Wolf
    Take Pictures when it's done. Nobody will complain then..

Well maybe stike will, but only to be ornery!!!
  • EggieG
    Looking good so far. B)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    LOL, Those were my words exactly.

None the less, it looks good CQ.
  • CQ...looks like a good start. I use a Polder to keep track of temps and my butts have always come out great. Keep the lid on, pull ur pork and take pics. ;)

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Michael,

I always open them. You can grab a piece of bark every time you do. It's like a reward :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Hi, Bob. I don't really trust my Polder, but it gets me in the ballpark. I set the alarm at 190 as I don't think it's more than 5* off. I'll check it with the Thermapen when it gets there. Still a ways off at 180.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Oh, I loves me some bark, but not when I took the pic. :)

Oh, and don't tell anyone, but mine is fat side UP. :evil:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Hey, wait a minute, Steve! I thought you were into steamed KALE these days! Bark?! :whistle:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Michael,

That was a phase B) Didn't last too long :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    I didn't think it would. :evil:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CQ...I have a Thermapen also and it is my backup for the Polder too! I have read many times on this forum...cook to temp and don't rely on time. :)

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Carolina Q
    Polder is better than I thought! I just looked and the Polder read 185. Couldn't resist, so I checked with the Thermapen and it said 186! Not bad!

But don't tell Pete or Ron that I opened the dome again!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Pete yells at everyone, :huh: don't take it personal :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah, but I hear he's cooked a few butts in his day, so he just MAY know what he's talking about! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Celtic Wolf
    one or two
    |
    |
    V

thousand
    |
    |
    V

--- this year!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    And for a good cause too!

Alright, alright - I'll leave the dome closed!! :blink:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    An interesting cook. And it isn't done yet, even though I already ate my fill of butt tonight. Weirdest thing... where I had the probe, it was done. Stuck the Thermapen here and there to check the rest - and half of it wasn't done! Mid-180's.

So, I pulled the half that WAS done and had dinner while the rest cooked. I pulled half, plated it, took pics, wrote an email or two and now am writing this. The other half of the butt STILL isn't done! Oh, and while I had the dome open, pulling pork on the grid, the temp went to 300 - where it has been ever since! :S

Anyway, I forgot to take a pic before I pulled the done half, but here's what it has looked like for the past hour or so. And what I had for dinner. Weird, but VERY good!!

4154624080_c9989ec0a6_b.jpg

4153862761_58080fbf9c_b.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hey Michael,

I'm in Fairfield County. Let's try and get Connecticut on the BBQ map!
  • EggieG
    For you Conneticut Folks:

on our way to Cape Cod this summer we stopped at the most interesting restaurant I had ever eaten at. it's called "the Place" and it's in Guilford. Here are a couple of photos. It's definately worth the trip if it's close enough for you.

IMG_0135.JPG

Everything cooked outdoors over flame. You can see the menu.
    IMG_0138.JPG
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah well, I think you and I are the only people in the entire state who have a clue what BBQ IS!! "It takes HOW long to cook?" :blink:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Thanks, Eddie. Don't get down to the shore that often, but with all that smoke, it might just be worth the trip. In any case, there's no place in CT that's more than an hour and a half away. Guilford's about an hour.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AWESOME!!!

I say that because I grew up in Guilford and have spent many evenings at The Place. It's BYOB and we used to go there and close the place down. Their clam special is great... though it's grilling and definitely not BBQ. Perhaps that's what started me as an egghead!
  • EggieG
    We defiately enjoyed it as an experience, and will make it a destination on our infrequent trips to the Cape.

As you can see my youngest loved the corn.
    IMG_0156.JPG