Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Light suggestions for the table?

Options
Matt_inSC
Matt_inSC Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Now that I have my table finished and egg installed I need to figure out a good lighting option. Currently using a flashlight for cooks but need something a little more permanent.
Here are my criteria:
-I'll get power to the deck near the egg - so that's not a concern
-I plan on keeping the egg and table covered so it needs to be removable (assuming it stands up a bit)
-Would rather not spend a ton of money on it

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Matt_inSC
    Options
    Should have searched before I posted. Searching 'Light' on the main forum got some good results.

The looks of this one are good. Wonder if I could get away with it w/out disturbing migratory bird patterns.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=764327&catid=1
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Matt, I went back and looked at your table pic thread - you did a fine job on it.

I'm with Frank, though, someone on here has previously posted pics of a table that was charred through a paver stone, so I agree you should put the feet under the egg. You can buy another set for your pizza stone, or use copper pipe angle pieces or foil balls as spacers.

About your light. I couldn't tell if you were cooking under a roof or not. When building my kitchen, Sparky suggested I put "crossing" lights above and slightly behind where I stand. This eliminates any shadows from the open dome or my head when cooking. If you don't have a roof, or don't always cook in the same spot, that obviously won't work for you. I bought a small light strip at Lowes with a couple of halogen bulbs on it, spread the bulbs to the max on the strip and aimed them at the egg. Also put a slider-type dimmer on the switch and can have a little 'mood' lighting when not cooking.

I hope that is helpful.
  • Matt_inSC
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I just picked up a 120W halogen floodlight at HD that I'm going to try in the fixture in the house overhang. The egg is not under roof but against a wall where the light is. The light is two stories up so we'll have to see.
    Yeah - Frank convinced me. I'm going to put the feet under the egg and user copper elbows inside the egg for now. My dad does some clay work and can make me some 'feet' next time he fires up the kiln.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    the flood light looks like a great plan. Might want to consider placing it sorta right over your head and aim it toward the grid so you will get some light under the open dome.

I think you will be much pleased having those feet under the egg.
  • Deadskins
    Options
    I recently got a ball cap with lights installed in it at Lowes. Works good and keep the head warm.