Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey times

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,757
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what were your turkey times for a 325 degree cook. my 15.25 pound bird came in at 14.5 min per pound. would like to see what everyones times were that cooked at 325 dome temps per mad max recipe. this cook took about 2 minutes longer than what i normally get, still pretty close time wise to my norm in the egg.

DSC_0089.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    I did a 20# bird at 325* dome temp (Mad Max way) and it took about 5 1/2 hr. - 16.5 min/lb. I had estimated 15 min / pound, so it was close enough for me.
    DSC_0271.jpg
  • i ate at my brothers... but want to ask. is that a chantal pan? someone here asked where i got mine, because it fits great with the offset handles. when i checked for them, it was sold out or discontinued.

i have two sizes, large and small

large pan:
    turbo_turkey.jpg

that pic is labelled "turbo turkey", it must have been my first 12-minute-per-pounder (at max's 325)

small pan:
    chixpotpie2.jpg

posted this the other day re: turkey leftovers.

anyway, now that i see them, my handles are porcelain too. what's the maker on your pan? some peeps here were looking for the oval with offset handles

>>follow-up: turns out that googling "oval roaster offset handles" turned up a few. I had previously looked for my specific roaster and couldn't find it. but there seem to be similar ones out there...

here's one>> Click-Me
  • pissclams
    Options
    1212mz.jpg

mad max method, 320 dome, 5 hours, 19 lb fresh (never frozen) bird.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dont know who makes the roaster. top and bottom have a thick aluminum laminated into the stainless. the other side which i assume everyone would use as the roaster side, makes a great simmering soup pot, holds maybe 9 quarts. the side i roasted in is usually the serving platter :laugh: i do remember it being pricey, maybe a hundred bucks, but i use it alot
    fukahwee maine

• Matt_inSC
    Options
    7 hrs. on the nose for my 21.5 pounder (325 dome). It was very cold in the inside (if not frozen) when I pulled it from the fridge. The thingy popped within 5 minutes of my pulling it from the egg at 7hrs.
    turkey_2.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    No pretty picture of my bird, I was juggling too many other things. However, my bird was small, and came out really fast. 11 lb in 105 minutes. I overshot at first to 500, and so it took awhile to get back to 325. So the Egg was well heated, and the bird was in room temperature for about 45 min. When I checked at 90 minutes, it was almost all 165+. I closed the vents to get down to 250. Nevertheless, it was remarkably juicy.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Had a bad experience with our turkey yesterday. Never had happened in the past. I usually use a butterball brand and have good luck this was a Jennie-o. 10.8# had it on the egg for a little over 4hrs at 325-350. It had very good flacor but just wasn't as tender as I usually get not sure why it wasn't at all dry just tough
    gerry
  • 61chev
    Options
    Had a bad experience with our turkey yesterday. Never had happened in the past. I usually use a butterball brand and have good luck this was a Jennie-o. 10.8# had it on the egg for a little over 4hrs at 325-350. It had very good flacor but just wasn't as tender as I usually get not sure why it wasn't at all dry just tough
    gerry
  • 61chev
    Options
    gerry
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    My Mad Max turkey was suppose to be 13 pounds but, it took 5.5 hours at 325° but my pit probe was clipped to a skewer pierced through the middle of the bird. The turkey came off 166° breast and 171° in the thigh. After the resting period the lower thigh was running pink so, we discarded that part. The breast was the best and juiciest I have ever tasted. Tim

000_1225.jpg
  • Golasso
    Options
    No pic, but my 13.6 pounder took 3:45 @ 325.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    3hrs 15 mins, 12 pounder

Thanksgiving09MadMaxturkey005.jpg
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Hey, Fish.

It looks like a lot of people are getting 16+/- minutes per pound on their turkeys that were stuffed with fruit/veggies and cooked at 325* dome.

I'm glad you posted this. The information has been helpful to me for future planning!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thats what im seeing too, about 16 min on average.
    fukahwee maine

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Turkey breasts appoximately 11.5 lbs each, on at 325 degrees for 3 hrs 15 min. For an average time of 15.6 min/lb.

Variation on Mad Max using two fresh turkey breasts, one weighing 11 lbs and the other 12 lbs. I placed the compound butter with finely minced herbs under the skin and placed each breast on a mound of celery, carrots, onions, fennel with an herb bouquet. Came out nice and moist. I made the stock the day before to compensate for not having the amount of fond and drippings that you would obtain from the whole turkey.
    IMG_1495.jpg
  • Raxus
    Raxus Posts: 21
    Options
    14 Lbs, 3 hrs 10 mins, Mad Max method. 1st turkey I have ever cooked on the egg. We LOVED it! :woohoo:

188.jpg