Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT somewhat - Lost a Mac

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

A word of caution!!

It seems like there are always a few turds out there...

My son and D-I-L went to the Apple store and bought a pretty loaded notebook and some accessories.

They had the traditions 1 hour appointment and went through the options and made their decision.

Leaving downtown they headed out about 20 minutes and before going home stopped in Bed Bath & Beyond. Heavy traffic and a lot of people.

15 minutes in the store and out buying some BBQ accessories they got to the car and both the driver side and passenger side locks had been knocked out. It was a pretty brazen theft.

The Apple Notebook, accessories and software were gone. $3,500 apple loss plus $800+ in lock damage.

Their Tahoe has deep tinted windows all the way back and they guessed someone followed them from the Apple store.

Be careful when out shopping and take something to cover up all the purchases. Check your insurance policies. The kids will be out the deductibles on both the car & home insurance claims.

Besides the damage & loss, needless to say they feel pretty violated and are hoping the incident ended in the parking lot and does not go any further than what has already happened.

Although they are upset they are thankful it was just a car break in and nothing else, they said they can always get another computer.

GG

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That is terrible, but unfortunately 'tis the season for things like this to really be a common occurrence.

My advice is to check with the credit card company used for the purchase. Chances are they will have some sort of coverage for the theft. Many cards will not make them responsible for the charge and they will not have to pay that insurance deductible. Hopefully a full police report was obtained to support their claims.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Sorry to hear that. Yes they can get another computer but it just makes you angry to hear about things like that. It just isn't right.

Take one day at a time I guess...

Gary
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That is aweful!!! Prayers to them.
    Tis the season. Everybody be careful!
    Thank you for the reminder GG.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wow GG That sends a message home to be cautious when out and about and watch for any suspicious people. Tis the season I guess. You know most anything could happen these days! Tim

It least everyone still has their health!

I hope they catch those &^$%&so n so's
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Very sorry to hear that Kent.I buy everything at Christmas with my American Express card and it's covered for 90 days.
    Larry
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    There are scum bags everywhere these day it seems. So sad. :(
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    GG,
    I have not read the other replies yet but my first thought while reading your post was that they were followed.

So sorry this has happened to them. I have only had my home broke into once and I fully understand how the feel violated. I hope the theives get caught at some point.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    That just plain sucks! I hope that they do call their cc company as they will have some recourse there like has been said. sometimes shopping with cash has its drawbacks :( after what we went through this winter I know how they feel. it is just creeping and upsetting. hard to believe as busy as things are that no one saw a thing or said anything :(
    well chin up and hope it is takin care of :)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    This is of little comfort but being new they didn't have a any personal information in there. Bank accounts and that sort of thing.

I hope their computer at home is still working.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • don't suppose there were any security cameras in the parking lot?
    gp
  •  
    Thanks for the comments. The credit card replacement is a good suggestion. They used Discover, evidently Discover doesn't participate in the replacement program. My son said on Monday they will be getting & using AMEX from now on.

Bed Bath & Beyond's security cameras were not operating but they did get a the police report. The police said that was the first reported break in for the day and the way the locks were knocked out and the thought they were followed from the origin of purchase.

Might be a good idea to put a blanket in the car to cover the purchases.

GG
  • Sorry to hear such a scary story but also glad to hear no one was injured.
    I posted about being a new Mac owner last month and still couldn't be happier with my decision. Fantastic computer.
    Wish your family the best and get online and order another one.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    So sorry to hear that. That tactic has been fairly common here in So. Fla. Especially with laptops purchased at the Best Buy stores. There's a lot of following you to another store, or home and then breaking in. It seems to be organized, and hard for the police to stop. We just have to be aware of our surroundings I guess.