Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - Education - Flat or Packer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone please educate me as to the difference in briskets as to those designated "flats" and those designated "packers".[p]Thank you[p]Kyle

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    KL,[p]In my experience, "packers" are the entire brisket. Packers can be cut into "flats" (one layer of muscle, all fibers running in the same direction, basically rectangular) and "points" (two layers of muscle with a fat layer in between, fibers in one layer run at an angle to fibers in the other layer, basically triangular).[p]Ken
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    KL,
    Ken hit it good. All I can add is that the flat and the point (or deckle) are two seperate muscles. The flat being the larger (flatter) and leaner muscle. The point is the knobby grainier looking muscle that kinda sits on top of one end of the flat. Usually, at least around here, you are only buying part of the flat. Sometimes they label it first cut. I have seen the points sold alone, but rarely.
    The packer has both the point, and the entire flat.
    Happy cooking
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the amplification, Chris. I think, and I could sure be wrong, that most points end up being corned - which would be another reason (in addition to the fat content) that corned points are less expensive than corned flats.[p]I like 'em both: got a corned point lookin' like dinner tonight.[p]Ken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Yeah, your prolly right. I think the time I saw them was after St. Patty's day. Guess they were selling the points that didn't get corned. Anyways, I still can't help but wonder now....except for one butcher in my area, I cannot get whole briskets anywhere. Sams, Costco, all the grocery stores only carry flats now. Where are all those points going? You think they are corning them all?[p]The point just plain tastes better and feels better in your mouf. [p]Enjoy the corned beef!
    chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]We have 3 major chains here, and the only place I see whole briskets is Albertsons. Costco has them once in a blue moon. Beyond that "it's flat and that's that", and we don't even get "non-corned" points after St. Paddy's.[p]What a revoltin' development! Thufferin' thuccotash![p]Ken
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Father forgive me for suggesting this, but the best place in my area to get the whole brisket is[p]please don't tell anyone i told you this [p]
    Walmart.[p]
    Is sad but true.