Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much folks paying for 20 LB Cowboy Lump?

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just found 20 lb bags for 11.99! Seems low. Thinking of going back for 4 or 5 more.

Comments

• Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    My local Ace Hardware usually has it for 12.99. I'm going to use the 50% off coupon that was posted here yesterday and grab a bag today.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Just grabbed my first bag of Cowboy at Ace for $6! Warming egg now for 2 butts. Seems to be a little harder to light than other lump I have used.
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    My lump experience is limited to Royal Oak and Cowboy. Both seem to light the same way. I will occasionally get a stubborn bag that takes a little longer to light. Looking forward to trying som Wicked Good soon.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Careful with the Cowboy for long cooks like a butt. I've found that it is the fastest burning lump I've used. You may need to add more lump toward the end of your cook. I usually restrict it to steaks and other quick cooks.

-John
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I went and got several bags of BGE lump and one 20 lber of Cowboy with the coupons. I had to create online an Ace membership card to use with each coupon, but I got half off so it was a good deal. I'm using the Cowboy tonight with pizzas and saving the BGE for longer cooks.
    And to answer the OP question, it is around $16.00 down here in Sarasota while BGE goes for around $24.00.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Every day price down here is $11.99 at Ace Hardware. A lot of people scored some for half that with Ace's coupon that was good only today.

Gator

• LFGEnergy
    Options
    Interesting post! I have been struggling with temperature spikes all day! Was getting ready to post question, but I think you answered it.... ;)
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    FearlessGrill -

Did you call it or what ;) !?!?!? Just took butts off at 163 internal and put them in oven under foil (with a little apple juice) to finish...Load of Cowboy is done for the night!! :angry:

Dave
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I buy Cowboy for 10.68 a (20pound)bag, year round.I don't know where you guys are getting the super fast burning Cowboy or how high you're filling the egg, but I've never ran out of lump in any long cook. I've cooked probably over 600 pounds of pork this past year in my egg using nothing but Cowboy and going 18+ hours on some big cooks and have never ran out of lump. I've even cooked 45 pounds at once using the spider and stone which drops the amount of lump you can use and still had some left. Not sure. I have no problems with Cowboy. Use it on everything. Fast and slow.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Rollingegg,

Watch for my post tomorrow. I am going to take a picture of fire box with burned out Cowboy - got less than 10 hours of fire time. Also, temp jumped around more than anytime I have smoked.

Would appreciate your opinion.

And BTW, at 11.99 a 20 lb bag, I will use Cowboy for most everything I do once I learn how.

Thanks again for response. Look for pic of firebox.

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    What temp are you cooking at? Are you filling it up pass the box and half way the fire ring?
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    Rolling Egg wrote:
    I buy Cowboy for 10.68 a (20pound)bag, year round.I don't know where you guys are getting the super fast burning Cowboy or how high you're filling the egg, but I've never ran out of lump in any long cook. I've cooked probably over 600 pounds of pork this past year in my egg using nothing but Cowboy and going 18+ hours on some big cooks and have never ran out of lump. I've even cooked 45 pounds at once using the spider and stone which drops the amount of lump you can use and still had some left. Not sure. I have no problems with Cowboy. Use it on everything. Fast and slow.

I get the same results. $12.99 at Ace.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    In Springfield, IL it's usually $11.99 and goes on sale for $9.99 - 10.99

John
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Filled it up (about) to top of fire ring, and cooking at 250 to 265. Hard time controlling temp though.