Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs. Extra Large

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I haven't found by searching.

I'm torn between the large and extra large size Egg. I don't plan to cook for large numbers of people, but I'm concerned that a large might not let me cook multiple things (like brisket & ribs or meat and sides).

Has anybody gotten a large and wished that they'd gotten an extra - large or vice versa?

Thanks.

This is my last decision before trotting off the the store.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    based upon what you have said, I think many would recommend a large and small or large & mini combination for what you'd pay for the x-l, the large will handle main cooks for a bunch of people & the second egg will provide versatility & different temperatures for sides & so forth. Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • The large holds a lot, the problem that you mentioned may not be settled by getting an XL (depending on temp). If it's not grid space, then you may consider a large and a small. I never thought I would wish for a smaller on, but I read a lot of cooks on the small from egfgers with multiple eggs. Good luck B), and you will soon be a part of our cult :evil: :evil:
  • Excellent thought, Zippy. That way, I won't have to shell out the extra bucks for the XL right now. I can get the smaller one later. Duh !!!! :P
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    zactly, & later for me was about 5 years, I added a mini:
    IMG_2100.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • I agree with all. As a newbie, I struggled with L versus XL before purchase. However, L has been more than enough grill for me. And with the vertical grill accessory, I have seen larges loaded with foods for many people. Lastly, an XL seems like a lot of grill to light if just for a few folks or a quick cook.

A mini for Christmas...thanks for writing my list!

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    BGEminilambchops0004.jpg
    I agree with Zipplip. Mini's have a lot of potential as a second egg next to the large.
    BGEMiniRackofLamb004.jpg
    BGEMinipizza0002.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_5433.jpg
  • I think if I had it to do over again I would get two larges and a mini.

My reasoning is simple: I have all the accessories for the large and most for my small. But the small accessoreis will not fit the large.

I would be able to utilize my collection of large accessories better with two larges.

The mini is just for fun.

Spring "Eggs Are Cheaper By The Dozen" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • I have a large Egg about four years old. It is all I have ever needed. The large Egg actually has a higher lid than the Extra Large and can handle a bigger turkey. The Extra Large does have more cooking space. I have a grill attachment so that I can do a double grill all at the same time for extras.
  • I started off w/ an xl and actually just added a large to the collection before Thanksgiving. I ran into the same issues w/ the xl that it seems you are trying to avoid w/ the large. That being not enough room for various cooks. My problem was part of thatm but more so the fact that I wanted to cook some things at various temps. Having a large BBQ and knowing that some people (especially the kids) might want burgers and dogs, I found myself also using my Weber gas grill... which I did not want to do.

I think the issue is not so much the size of the eggs, but rather the ability to use more than one.

Regardless of size, the addition of a 2nd egg has made cooking much more enjoyable!
  • Got a Large egg rather than the XL about 18 months ago.
    Very happy with the large. Check out the www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ for increase capabilities of all the eggs and Tom is a great guy to do business with.

Doug
    LaFayette, NY
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Stick with the large and add a small or mini. Before you do anything, check the height of the XL. It is difficult to do any vertical cooking because the dome is closer to the grid on the XL then the large. Also, harder to get food in and out.

Just my $.02 worth.
  • I bought a large and then bought another one. I also have two adjustable rigs that makes the lg even more versatile.

Best of luck in your decision.

Two%20Eggs.jpg
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    This is where you end up anyway,just buy them all now.
    IMG_0886.jpg

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • I had the same problem when I bought my Egg a year ago. I bought the large. Now I wish that I would have paid a little bit more and gone with the extra large egg. Don't get me wrong I love my large egg but occassionally I do cook for groups of 15-20 when the whole family is coming over. I have done several large meals by using the single teir rack to double my cooking space. If you don't think you will ever cook for more the six or eight people then the large egg should be fine. I do love the idea of adding a smaller egg to my mix and will probably go that route.
  • Its harder to get food in and out!? Why is that? Have you cooked on an XL?

It is difficult to do any vertical cooking!? Are you kidding me? Yes the dome is lower.

I don't mean any disrespect but here are 12 waks of BB wibbies none touching horizontally or vertically.

BTW - It is an XL but I like cooking on a large just as well.

IMG_4364800x600.jpg

First Layer
    IMG_4365800x600.jpg

Second Layer
    IMG_4366800x600.jpg

Third Layer
    IMG_4367800x600.jpg

Fourth Layer
    IMG_4373800x600.jpg

Smokin right along
    IMG_4376800x600.jpg

Nephew stole one :lol:
    IMG_4395800x600.jpg

IMG_4387800x600.jpg

I also have a small and mini. Every Egger thinks their Egg is the Greenest :woohoo:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    The XL is also an EGG ! The Dome opens and closes like the others. It cooks like the others. The only difference is space.
  • I have a lg and an xl. One thing that can happen with the xl is, if the new version of the fire ring and plate setter are not used, there is some space that is wasted. The 1st ring and placesetter I bought allowed me about 4 less inches of vertical space. The new one is much better. That could be the xl issue discussed earlier
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Great viewing pictures to show how to do it and the ribs look great. Do you have rotate them???

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Thanks to your expert advices, I just bought a large Egg. They will deliver it next Thursday.

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. :woohoo:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Congrats on the new EGG. Now you can start thinking what will be your first cook, your second cook, and........

You made a good choice in getting a BGE.

Enjoy.

Gary
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Congrats ! You will not regret it.
    Welcome to the cult... :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    :laugh: :woohoo: If you think you're excited NOW...just wait 'till you start cooking on it!! :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: B) Welcome. You made a great choice. ;)
  • I didn't rotate Bordello. Just made sure they were all protected by the platesetter or ribs on a lower level. Did the same cook on a friends XL.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Congrats!!
    Now sign in officially and start planning you cooks. Also learn how to post pics, nakid whiz.com :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Congratulations!!

You will be an extremely happy egger -now you need to register and get a real handle etc...
  • cookn biker wrote:
    Congrats!!
    Now sign in officially and start planning you cooks. Also learn how to post pics, nakid whiz.com :)

OK, my registration was approved. I'll post pictures on my first cook. Thank you all again for all the advice you gave me. I can see that I am going to enjoy this forum a lot.

Gary
    Houston, Texas

(Proud owner of a soon-to-be-delivered large EGG !!!!! )

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Bordello
    That's nice to know.

When leaning (still am) to do ABT boats I don't turn them but do rotate the grid. I'm wondering if doing a lot of ABT's or Moink Balls (have not done Moinks yet) if it's really necessary to turn them all over.

Darn if you many, what a pain. I saw a picture of a box type smoker with about 5 racks full of Moinks in it, can not think of turning each one over. :(

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    I think we all know the feeling and many of us a few times over. :woohoo:

Don't lose control, pee in your pants or anything like that. :laugh: Drink more adult beverages if you're going to lose it. :silly:

Congratulations,
    Bordello

Any problems, come here.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Love your handle!! :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE