Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OFF Topic.. Anyone have the Tempurpedic Mattress?

zipur74
zipur74 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a bad back (Egg Ligting) and am in need of a new bed. I am very interested in the Tempur-Pedic foam mattress. My problem is I am uncomfortable about laying out so much money when I don’t know anyone who has this bed. In my google search have given minimal results. Sorry if I’m breaking forum policy I just wanted some feedback from a trusted owner.

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I have been researching them, too. My wife goes under the knife Monday for her back. I need something comfortable for her. I'm like you...I don't have enough info. I have been investigating bed toppers,also. Pretty pricy, but she needs something. I'm glad you posted this question.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Zip and Hornhonk....Have no experience with these myself, but from info-mercial exposure....I remembered the 90 day try out. Researched tonight, and it appears this only applies when you order direct, and pay $175 delivery fee.....
    http://www.tempurpedic.com/mattresses/
    I think I would be more tempted by the "heavenly bed" put out by Westin....which WILL be our next mattress....though frankly I am a bit scared to look at pricing... just my two cents.... :whistle:
    Flip direct at 4 minutes until the internal temp reaches 127*......(keeps it on topic...right?) :whistle:
    (Wow...not nearly as bad as I thought...less than $2000 King matt & box, incl estimated shipping and frame)
    After additional research....Ironically....the Heavenly bed is made by Simmons, who is also the maker of Comfor-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress....
    http://www.simmons.com/products/brands/comforpedic/index.html
    Maybe they have better policies than tempurpedic.....
    Good luck!!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Thanks for the links and info, Little Chef. Very kind of you. And I must agree, the "heavenly bed" is wonderful. Last time I stayed at a Westin, they had a price list for the robes, etc. They would even sell you the bed! Only $3000.00! :unsure: But for 1/3 of your life not unreasonable. I'm going to check it out. P.S. Can you lend me $3000? :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Well fortunately, the mattresses are about $1000 Less from what I have seen online versus the Ads in the rooms.... :blush: ...BUT....Couldn't even find an estimate for the foam beds without having to call the dealer...which concerns me even more!!! :blink: :huh:
    Wishing you all the best!!! And it will only take HALF a second mortgage apparently.... :blink: :S
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    I'm a Chiropractor and this question is asked all the time. My experience is, when the Temps came out all the info was great and made perfect sense. We bought one and it is now in our spare bedroom. For one they hold so much heat. I woke up sweating every night but my wife was fine with it (ceiling fan full blast for me) and after a short while it felt as if we were rolling to the sides from where we slept. Based on all the research, a firm ,not hard, with high coil count, pillow top is the way to go and is now what we sleep on. Of course there is a couple weeks that you have to get used to any new bed and will go through the "did we buy the right bed phase"
    This is just my 2 cents based on my experience.
  • "Pillowtop is the way to go" I agree as long as the pillowtop is not part of the mattress.

After a lot of research and advice from my chiropractor, we bought a bed with pocket springs that had no pillowtop. The topper was bought separately after market and, after 12 months, it feels as though it might last another 12 months - at most.

When the topper is a non-removable part of the bed, it really drops the service life of the whole unit.
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    I purchased one of the tempurpedic adjustable bed 5 years ago after having 2 back surgeries. Recuperating from the second surgery on a bed that was adjustable at the head and feet was great, but that was the only positive for me. The mattress proved to be uncomfortable and didn't wear well. We had invested so much $$$ I hated to get rid of it, but I had no choice. My opinion is that a good firm mattress (I now have a Sealy Posturepedic) is the best option.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Sandi has TP knockoff and we really like it. But I like the TP pillows even more. It's amazing how much better I can sleep on any hotel mattress if we bring those pillows along.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I'm an absolute Sleep Number fan. Have had it for several years now and love it. Got the light pillowtop one (was the 7000 series then...new numbers now). I sleep better on it than anything anywhere, despite a snoring husband and 2 burrowing mini-dachshunds.

On the Tempurpedic (are they Tempurapedic if you fry in them?), I think they've done some things to reduce that "man is this hot" issue from the early days. EShark has one and loves it. But he's 20 and can sleep on a sharp stick!

mShark
  • I have no personal experience with a Tempurpedic mattress, but know people who have. They complained that after a time it develops a dip where you sleep. Several years ago I bought a Select Comfort sleep number bed and I love it. It is without a doubt the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Did the bed toppers but got to warm in Texas for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Have it...been sleeping on it about 5 or 6 years. Wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market.

I do a lot of business travel and as such I've slept on high-end mattresses, the select comfort air mattresses and their equivalents, pretty much anything you can name. None match the comfort of my Tempurpedic.
  • Fidel
    Did you use a mattress pad? I hear this complaint a lot and almost always the person complaining is using a mattress pad with the tempurpedic mattress, which will cause the heat buildup.

The TP people will tell you to avoid using anything but a fitted sheet over the mattress as it is already covered with their mattress pad.
  • Fidel
    I can tell you that this is definitely not the case. I was replacing mattresses every 3-4 years because of what I call the "butt groove" in a mattress. Expensive pillow tops were especially bad. I went through Sealy, Simmons, and a local manufacturer's brand before I went to the Tempur.

I am not a small fella, and I sleep in the same position in the same place in the bed every night for 5 or 6 years now, and you cannot see and feel a soft spot anywhere on it.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Have been using the TP mattress for 9 years now. Wouldn't use anything else. Rotate it about once every 6 months. No permanent dips and I haven't noticed any undue amount of body heat.
    I was able to stand up straight the first morning of use for the first time in many years.
  • We have had one for three years and absolutely love it. It has held up well so far, and the heat issue others mention hasn't been a problem for me, and I'm always feeling hot.

A couple of reasons we went with this:

1) It's allergen proof. My wife has bad allergies, and this mattress is the only one that doesn't allow build up of dust mites and such. Has been great from this perspective.

2) Minimization of movement. My wife and I keep pretty different schedules, and used to wake each other up all the time. In addition, 90lbs of golden retriever moves in and out of the bed as he pleases. With the Tempurpedic, we don't notice any of this.

3) It's really comfortable.

4) It has a 20 year warranty, while most sprung mattresses had a 10 year warranty at the time we bought. The Tempurpedic cost about 1.5x more than the sprung mattresses we were considering, so over time, assuming the lifespan is proportional to the warranty, the Tempurpedic should actually be cheaper.

The only issue we've had with it is that the mattress is a bit thinner than the huge pillowtops that are popular now. As a result, newer sheets tend not to fit all that well, and sometimes slide off at the top corners.

I'd definitely buy one again.

-John
  • EggieG
    EggieG Posts: 81
    We have had ours for a little over a year and love it..

It has been a great investment for us so far.
  • zipur74

We wouldn't buy anything else now.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks for the correction. I see in your other post that you've had your mattress for 5 or 6 years. I wonder if the older versions had the butt groove problem? As I said I have no personal experience, but of the people who told me they have a butt groove, one of them used to sell them. I have had my Select Comfort for about 8 years, and the info I received on Tempurpedic was right before then.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    In fact, the TP is the second best buy of my life (after the BGE's, of course).
  • I don't have the mattress, but I do have one of their pillows and I love it 9 months out of the year. I find that, in the summer, it does tend to hold heat more than my standard feather/down pillows do. It also seems to be sensitive to temperature and humidity, becoming softer and more pliant in warm, humid weather.

I might try the TP eventually, but I'd be skeptical of its temperature characteristics.
  • We were going to get a new bed (my hip and shoulder problem) and researched the air beds, primarily the Select Comfort and the Comfortaire. Like both, but as much as I didnt want to the (more advertised) Select Comfort higher end model (with adjustable pillow top) was the most comfortable. Did not get it, but may in future.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Ive had my tempur pedic for about 4yrs. I LOVE IT!!!! I would say that the part that most folks miss, is not purchasing the adjustable part of the bed. With my bad back, I can lay out in my bed and close it like a clam shell and then open it back up. It decompresses my spine and so relaxing! The other thing I like about the bed being adjustable is during periods of sinus issues, I can raise the head up and not worry about choking from laying flat. It's also nice to raise my feet above my heart when I sleep. It was expensive, but it has been some of the best money I've ever spent. Contact me offline if you'd like to talk on the phone and I'll answer any questions you have.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    We've had one for a couple years. Last night I spent an evening in a motel bed, and it reminds me how much I love the mattress. It's also great that I can get up without disturbing my (very light sleeping) spouse due to the fact that movement doesn't transfer across the bed.
  • Fatmike, I bought a Tempurpedic a little over a year ago, and my concern while researching was the heat, as I get hot at night fairly easily (the "Princess" piled the covers on, while I'll often use only a sheet :laugh: ).

Several friends with this mattress warned me about the heat. I found out, though, that the newer mattresses do not build up as much heat as the older ones. The store can show you which models have less heat. I sleep now covered with a sheet and a light blanket and maybe 2-3 times in 18 months have I waked up and felt hot under me.
  • Exact same experience here, although my mattress is a little less than 2 years old. No sag anywhere!
  • We have had our a little less than 2 years and it has been the best mattress I had ever owned. The heat issue concerned me while researching, but it has been a VERY minor issue, especially compared to the loss of morning back stiffness. I had a lumbar disk removed about 20 years ago and often woke up in the mornings so stiff I would have to stretch for several minutes before being able to straighten up completely. Since the TP mattress, this had not happened one day!

We had a memory foam topper before buying the TP mattress - no comparison!

My daughter and SIL bought the "number bed" recently and they LOVE that mattress as well - I have not tried one, but it was second on my list when shopping for the TP.

After 2 years, we have NO butt groves or sag problems and we have not rotated the mattress in that time.

I get up considerably before the Princess and when on call, often slip in long after she is asleep. She never knows I'm either coming or going (a light sleeper).

My recommendation is to get the Tempurpedic, but express your concerns about the heat and they will direct you to the mattresses that have less heat build up.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Forget the tempurpedic stuff, go get an air bed! Nothing like it. But don't get the Sleep Number as they are too expensive. Search the web for air beds and you will find a much better deal and cheaper with a 20 year warranty. By back stopped hurting the first few nights and I don't snore as much (according to the wife).

Definitely, the air mattress bed is superior.
  • We've had a visco-elastic bed for about 10 years... 4 inch dense latex base and 4 inch visco top. We've loved it, but in the last couple of years we've realized it has grown less comfortable (and we've gotten older and put on weight :( )

Just last Wednesday received a new, all visco bed from

http://www.selectabed.com/index.htm

and as with the old bed we are very satisfied.

Greg