Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Computer buying help

Options

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Not even having gone to the urls, but the Toshiba laptops are at the top of the list for the most reliable lap tops. I'll see if I can find the url for the study results.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Between those two I would choose the Toshiba unless you plan to do anything graphics intensive.

The main difference between the two is the Compaq has an independent video card while the Toshiba uses shared memory to drive video.

The Toshiba however has a better processor (I'll assume you have no need for 64-bit processing) and a larger hard drive, and from the listing a better software bundle.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Probably the Toshiba just as a computer, but the staples offer is including a printer if ya need one. Could be a deal maker there.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Got printers coming out of my butt
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Thanks Rod. I was leaning towards the toshiba. I use photoshop but not really big into graphics. I do D/L movies on netflix
  • Fidel
    Options
    You'll have no graphics concerns unless you get into heavy PhotoShop work or games that have high processor and memory demands.
  • Fidel
    Options
    You should see a doctor about that.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    OK, maybe I do have an opinion on this one :) . We (my company, a bunch of engineers and scientists) in US, Canada and around the world are HUGE Dell fans! Have to say we have had so few problems with these it is hard to not go back. We use these things up like paper pads.....

However, Toshiba laptop was one of my first, and a strong performer//// ;)

But I would DEFINITELY go Dell before going to Staples. If a direct buy or reputable dealer for Toshiba - a you pick....Also, Dell has a lot of specials,that change on regular basis.

Good luck!
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Also, Dell allows you to customize over the internet. For a guy still using 486's, it allows you to see the options that are on the market, and how they affect price. YOu will be SURPRISED when you get home at what was NOT included on your Best Buy special - things you forgot to think about at purchase.

Lastly, dealing with Best Buy versus Dell - I will take Dell any day. Sound like a commercial, but have two Dells at house (and really need a third for son) and would not consider anyone else. As a low-tech user, at least I can see what I am buying, and the choices that are out there before giving out the credit card number.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    OK, last comment. Dont get in a hurry. Take a look at a few build it yourself websites, and try to get an understanding of the items that are important to you. Frankly. RAM, Graphics, and storage are the main issues. If you are a lower-tech user, anything you buy is likely going to be so much more than you currently use, and service becomes the bigger issue.

Good luck!
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    OK, maybe one more comment. If you have not owned a laptop before, understand that you cannot leave them running on desk 24-7 without either a stand or venting pad. I have burned up two (look at where they vent). Again, learning curve with new stuff! B)
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I made an appointment
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm using a 4 year old toshiba now. It was a cheap one when I bought it. I want to pass it to my daughter so I can keep her off the new one.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Just kidding about the 486. playing with dells site now. think I built a better computer for 10.00 more. same processor with 64 bit windows
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    there you go! If you are an old guy (like me) pay a few extra bucks for service agreement and call them when screen comes up different color than you remember!!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would opt for the Toshiba, I have had 3 and all have been great. Have had 6 Dell laptops again all great, one the drive went out, but that was not necessarily a 'Dell' fault. Very easy fix 10 minute fix. I have also had 2 Compaq's and 1 Visio. The Compaq's were heavy but worked fine, I really didn't like the feel of the keyboard. The Sony was expensive but worked well.

This time of year Dell run's specials and once in a while some great buys are to be had.

Good hunting, GG
  • HungryMan
    Options
    The Comapaq is out. The toshiba is at the store and ready to go. I did some online building with Dell. I can get about the same think with the 64 bit windows. all the specs look close. Trying to see what has a better video card. I know with dell I can upgrade that. I just dont want to get out of my price range. I wanted the core 2 duo, but with dell I can go without that processor and cut a few bucks. Too many differences and hard to choose. also dell has a bigger battery option. I think thats a positive if it makes a difference.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If there isn't much cost difference get (or hope you got) the dual core.

Bigger battery weighs more. Try to make sure you get the LiON battery rather than the NiCad.

I do a lot of graphics but no gaming, most of the time the standard video works well. I do try to get a non shared memory video card.

Get as much memory as you can afford as that will be one of the biggest speed enhancers (at the lowest cost) that you can get. 2G if XP, 3G if Vista. I haven't looked into Win7 but I guess 3 or 4G - That is if you get 64 bit version of the OS.

GG.