Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MM Turkey Crud

hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any reason to worry about any of the "crud" in the bottom used for gravy, burning. The wine seems to have near dried up and plenty of sizzling going on. I tried to suck some up into my baster and it melted it.

Comments

• I'm in the same boat here! What do we do?
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    It seems that you are getting a bit more heat than you should at the pan level. While it may get hot, it should not be hot enough to melt a decent quality baster. If you're cooking at 325 and keeping the dome shut, you should not be getting that hot.
  • hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    325 at the dome, plan is stetting on plate setter and V rack is setting in pan with turkey
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Try putting a little air under the pan. If it is sitting directly on the platesetter, you may be just picking up too much heat from it. If you have a few pieces of ceramic or fire brick, you can raise it up.
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    I think you can add more liquid if needed.....stock, wine, ect. This happened to me last year as well.

I think the setup is pretty important.....what I mean by this is that I've now seen where they kick the platesetter towards the back of the egg....and started the fire in the back, which is usually where the hot spot occurs. This will allow some of the pan to hang off the front some, where the fire may not be as hot. Hope that makes sense.....kind of rushing b/c I have to put my bird on in about 10 mins.
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    I think you can add more liquid if needed.....stock, wine, ect. This happened to me last year as well.

I think the setup is pretty important.....what I mean by this is that I've now seen where they kick the platesetter towards the back of the egg....and started the fire in the back, which is usually where the hot spot occurs. This will allow some of the pan to hang off the front some, where the fire may not be as hot. Hope that makes sense.....kind of rushing b/c I have to put my bird on in about 10 mins.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Add more wine and/or stock, chicken broth, or water.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hissner,
    As I understand it you shoulld have your platesetter leg toward the back after liting the lump in the back with the BGE feet on the platesetter and then the roasting pan then the v-rack or trivet then the turkey legs pointing toward the back. Hope this helps. Tim :)

After I took this picture I found out to turn the platesetter leg toward the back next to the hinge.

000_1217.jpg

000_1213.jpg

000_1212.jpg

000_1224.jpg