Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

XL egg temp help

Doctor EvilDoctor Evil Posts: 23
edited 7:06AM in EggHead Forum
I have an XL egg and have noticed that my cook times are MUCH shorter that most recommended times. Today, I made a discovery. The temperature measured at the temperature probe hole in the dome is almost 100 degrees lower than the temp measured just above my turkey at the very top of the dome. For example, the temp at the probe is 300 degrees and at the top of the dome just above the bird is almost 400 degrees. Which temp is accurate? Do I take the average of the two? My turkey is about 2 inches from the top of the dome.

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    When you calibrated your thermometer in boiling water what did it show?
  • Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Are you taking those two temps with the same thermometer? That is a lot of difference. Normally we will see anywhere from 25 to 40 degrees difference from the grill to the dome. I would use the temperature closest to the meat. I would also check my dome thermometer. It seems to be reading low.
  • Why didn't I think of that? The original, dial style thermometer reads about 15 degrees lower than the digital, remote thermometer I used at the top of the dome. That accounts for some of the difference.