Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey on the Egg

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Although I have been egging for years, I have never cooked a turkey on my egg. Always wanted to experiment in the "Off Season" before attempting one with company coming. Decided to throw caution to the wind and cook my first one today for nine people.

Read posts dating back for years, including MM's famous technique. Finally settled on just cooking it the same way we have done turkeys in the oven only adapting it to the egg. Here is the setup:

Spider legs up
Large pizza stone wrapped in HDF
Four BGE ceramic feet
Rectangular roasting pan w/ handles
V-Rack
Turkey, breast up and stuffed w/ cornbread stuffing (That's right: stuffed!)
LBGE stabilized @ 350°

I iced the breast for 20 minutes (MM), stuffed the bird w/ the wife's regular stuffing and fastened w/pins, rubbed w/ butter and seasoned w/ salt. I test fitted the ceramic feet before putting the stone/feet on the spider so that when I put the roasting pan on they were in just the right spot. When it came time to but the bird in, I oriented the legs toward the back of the egg, closer to the hot spot, and the neck towards the front (very old tip from fishlessman). I checked to make sure the dome probe didn't touch the turkey.

Now just kicking back and waiting for the results. The turkey weighed in @ 22#'s. Figuring on 12-15 minutes/#. That works out to about 4'24" to 5'30". Will check in later with the final cook time. Wish me luck!

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good setup there. Don't be surprised to find it cooks a little faster than you think. Mine usually go about 10-13 min per LB. Although stuffed might take a little longer. Please let us know how long it actually takes.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    4 hours on the dot. Probe said 172* in thigh. Pulled it inside an checked w/ Thermapen. 190* in thigh/leg and 180* breast. Lost some dark meat to the drip pan (see pic). Fished it out and tasted it: pretty damn good and extremely moist. Hope the rest of the bird will be. Resting now, I'll carve in about 45 min. By the way, the "Belly Button" temp thingy that came in the bird never popped out. Glad I didn't trust it this time (I usually ignore them).

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Sounds like a good setup to me! Just saw the finished photo and it looks like a purty birdie.
  • MeanGreenMachine
    Options
    I love my EGG!! My first turkey is tomorrow. I'm using the turkey rack with no stuffing. Using Veggie Shake by Traeger as my rub....GOOD STUFF!!!! Will report back tomorrow. MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Remember the REASON for the season. Its not our birthday, its Jesus birthday!!!