Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THE HOTLINE IS BACK OPEN!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
morning everyone and happy thanksgiving to all!!!!

i've been up since 6:30. ..pulled my bird out of the fridge at 7 ... lit my egg to get it stabilized. ...got the bird all prepped now and its now resting under its ice bag.. ..got the egg leveling out so that there is no nasty smoke and the fire is well established. .. 22 1/2 pound bird will go on in about 25 more minutes. ...i got my stock going last night so the house already smells great. ..

anyway, the hotline is now open!! ...as always, please make sure you've read mad max central first, but then, if you have any questions, or are unsure of what you are doing, give me a call. .. .

703-517-3791. ..

i will be shutting it down when we sit down to eat around 4 or 5. ...

hope everyone has a safe, peaceful, happy thanksgiving!!!

max

Comments

• Big Porkbutt
    Options
    Max,
    My bird has been on since 7:30, looking forward to another great MM style turkey.
    I know that cooking in a different environment sometimes produces different results. The turkey you cooked in the video at the BBQ & Music Store (what a combination!) was darker than mine have turned out. Is this what yours typically look like, or were things hurried up a bit for the video?
    I'm sure it was still a great bird.
    Thanks for all your help!
  • I only have one apple wood chunk left! It is pretty thick, but out of wood? Question for you should I then put the wood chunk into the egg seconds before I put the turkey on to conserve the wood and smoke? Or should I just forget about smoking all together? By the way I usually cook at 250 - 275 instead of 325!
  • If smoking TWO turkey breasts, do you double the time?

They are each about 7 lb.

THANKS!
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    max is busy on the phone and will not have much of a forum presence today , read mad max at the naked whiz and if all else fails call him ..
    do not doulble the time two sevens are the same as one seven. in this case 7+7 does not = 14
  • hayhonker
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving Mad Max!
  • Smokin' Wolverine
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving my friend. I'm at work right now but my bird is at home preparing itself in the egg for his grand appearance at lunch today. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your family.

Ryan
    North of the Border Smokin Squad
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Regards to you and your family, Max--have a great one, and enjoy your beloved-Cowboys on TV today :P