Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buttered to soon

Options
valrune
valrune Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was trying to get as much done tonight before the blitz tomorrow morning. I got the bird ready and the stock abubbl'n, stuffed the turkey with sliced apple,onion,and lemon and then coated with softened herb butter. As soon as I got done smearing the butter I thought....how am I going to ice the breasts down without all the butter sticking to the ice bag? Any tricks of the trade out there? Thanks

Comments

• just stick the ice bag on top of it. ..if some of the butter sticks to it, no big deal, just peal it off the bag and put it bag on the bird. ...don't overthink this, you'll be ok!! :cheer:
  • SuperDave
    Options
    I use my fingers to seperate the skin from the meat and carefully smear the herb butter in the void. The skin insulates the butter somewhat controlling how fast it melts. I still baste with butter toward the end of cooking to even up the browning. It works great. I also brine my turkey for 12 hours or more before the cook.

It works great on Turkey Breasts too!
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Options
    That was my thought, but wanted to if there were any "secret" tips out there? I was going to use wax paper between the ice bag and butter and try to replace the butter as needed......if needed.
    Like you said, "Don't over think it"! :silly: