Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is better than MM Turkey?

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Answer is simple - either "nothing" or "two mad max turkeys"

RawonPlatter.jpg

Which causes my problem. Every year we host my wife's family - I know I should get husband of the year! Last year we cooked for about 25 people. I did a 22 lb. Mad Max Turkey and also smoked up a ham:

Thanksgiving 08 - Turkey on the Large and Ham on the Small:

5HoursIn.jpg

HamjustonEgg.jpg

It was great - but basically everyone wanted the turkey instead of the ham - NO SUPRISE.

So since 08 Thanksgiving, I have added an XL to my family. On the BGE website - it claimed two 20lb Turkeys. So - I buy a 14.5 lber and a 16 lber. However, I tested the set up and am worried that I am not going to repeat last year's success. I have the new model XL, so the plate setter is pretty short. I don't see anyway to get two roasting pans in there without serious overhang the plate setter. My best bet right now is that I have the drip pan that goes with the adjustable rig that will sit on BGE feet on the plate setter.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. Also, I assume the 12 - 15 minutes per pound is not TOTAL of the turkey, but individual.

I have been BGEing for 18 months, but sometimes I feel like such a novice!

Thanks in advance.

Comments