Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey turkey turkey

amp
amp Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok Eggers... i am going to put my first turkey on the egg, Large, for Thanksgiving. It will be a 20lb turk.

a couple questions as the pressure is on for me as my inlaws are in town. Should i smoke or just grill? For each method do you have any recommendations on temp and time? I am looking for some basic suggestions, nothing fancy as i have read many people say look at Naked Whiz Kid, too complicated for now. Any other basic ideas or thoughts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks y'all!

Comments

• may be a lot of words, but thats to actually make it simple for you. ...

but if you really want it simple, stick your plate setter in the egg feet up with a drip pan in it. ...pour some apple juice in the drip pan for moisture. ...brush some oil or butter all over the skin and sprinkle some salt and pepper on the bird. ...roast it in the egg at 325 until its done (180 degrees in the thigh). .. .there. ..doesn't get any simpler than that, allthough i'd still ice the breasts for 30 minutes before you stick it in the egg to keep the breasts from drying out. ...

easy enough?? :cheer:
  • amp
    Thank you and that does sound very simple and easy, even for a rookie.

Two questions;
    So i should ice the bird for 30 minutes prior to putting on the egg, exactly how? just put in a sink with ice in it?

about how long will it take for a 20# bird, should i figure around 15 minutes per pound?

Thx again
  • at least go read the mad max turkey at the naked wiz site so that you understand some basics about roasting turkeys on the egg even if you don't follow all the instructions...NO, you put a bag of ice on the breasts so that the breasts are colder than the thighs when you start. ..that way the breasts will finish around 160 as the thighs finish around 180. ..figure around 12 - 15 minutes per pound at 325 dome temp. ... but you can't go by straight time .. ..you need to keep an eye on your bird and check temps and pull it when its done. .. some finish faster than others. ...
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Amp....Max has made it about as easy as he can! As he says...it may look like a lot of words, but he is just being specific and as clear as possible. As far as the ice, a gallon zip lock of ice, over the breasts only...to help drop the breast temp a bit vs the thighs. The thighs/legs are always best in the mid 180's...but the breast, above 165* dries out. So his method helps retard/slow the cooking of the breast while the legs and thighs are already rising in temp. (helps all parts of the bird finish at the same time without drying out).
    Really can't be simpler!! Follow his advice and read the post....once you are done, it will make more sense. ;)

Hoping you make your best bird ever!!! OH!! And EASY on the smoking wood!! VERY easy to oversmoke poultry!! And 325* or better is the recommened cooking temp for poultry.....see FOOD SAFETY post.

Wish you the best!! :)
  • listen to max and lc.. read the mad max method and lc's safety post which is linked in uglydogs post right above yours.. and pass on the smoke.. if this is your first and the outlaws are putting the pressure on, tomrrow is not the day to experiment with smoke. pretend the egg is your oven .
    lots of folks don't like smoke and it is very easy to oversmoke poultry
    happy turkeyday to you and yours
    bill
  • amp
    Thanks Y'all...