Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feeding 200 - mexican theme

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Uh oh! I need some ideas from my friends. I have been volunteered to help with coming up with an idea and food preparation for a church event. We are to provide food for approximately 200 and the theme is mexican. I was volunteered because of food tasted from the egg.[p]A few requirements. At church, there is limited prep and cooking facilities so the 'dish' will need to be transportable and have ease of assembly in the auditorium. Any suggestions?[p]Banker John

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    banker john,
    I'm in a good mood, just finished a Sam Adams winter brew, so you'd probably do well to ignore me. But I'd do "Mexican Brisket", "Mexican Pulled Pork", "Mexican Ribs", "Mexican ABTs", stuff like that..... (Yes, I do think I am rather humorous.... LOL)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Banker John
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    LOL - I'm right on with the humor. I was about 7 Miller's into a conversation when I was volunteered about 2 hours ago. Talk about a sobering moment![p]The thought of Mexican Pulled Pork enchiladas kind of sounds interesting. Of course, I have never had them nor made them so I am at a loss on anything other than the pulled pork. How much butt would I need to finish the job? What goes into a pulled pork enchilada? And, how can I make it ahead of time and still have it hot/warm for a very large church gathering with limited preparation space?[p]Banker John[p]Banker John

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    banker john,
    I printed this out, because it looks damn good. Simple and tasty, looking at the recipe.
    Thanks Juggy da Beerman
    Bob

[ul][li]Juggys Burritos[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    banker john,
    Here is how I do enchaladas. I would prep them ahead of time and then bake them at the church, should come out fine. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]Pulled Pork Enchaladas[/ul]
  • Rib-Rob
    Options
    banker john,
    I make these all the time. They are killer. I believe I got the recipe from this site, but I can't find it now, so can't attribute. Don't know how it would fit in with your situation--but they ARE good!

PULLED PORK ENCHILADAS
    2 cups onion, chopped
    ½ cup butter or margarine
    19 oz. Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce
    4 cups cheese, shredded (Mexican Blend or Monterrey Jack)
    4 cups pulled pork, finely shredded
    4 oz. can green chilies, diced
    4 oz. can pimentos, diced
    1 pint sour cream
    Ten 8" flour tortillas
    Sauté onion in butter until tender, and lower heat. Stir in 3/4 enchilada sauce and 2 cups shredded cheese until melted. Add pork, chilies, and pimento, and mix well. Mix remaining enchilada sauce with sour cream. Pour a portion of sour cream/sauce mixture on bottom of a 13x9 baking dish, and spread evenly. Fill each tortilla with equal portions of pork mixture and roll up. Arrange in dish and spoon remaining sour cream sauce over. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake @ 350° for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve with additional sour cream, if desired.

• Rib-Rob
    Options
    banker john,
    Found the originator. "DavidR", or "drschutt" from contributed recipes. Thanks to you, DavidR. They are excellent!

• Rumrunner
    Options
    banker john, email me re: qfest and other things.[p]rum[p]
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Hey john,
    200 is a lot of folks. You might want to think about chilaquiles. It's a tortilla casserole that you could do in large volume. Basically fry some stale tortillas just shy of crisp, layer in a casserole with a red or green sauce, cheese, and either pulled prok or smoked chicken. Maybe with that size group do red and green. You could do another pan based on their suiza (swiss) enchilada recipe. Then you would have the 3 colors of the mexican flag. You can make this by the galons. Email me if you want a sauce recipe.
    Good luck.
    Dan

• Banker John
    Options
    Hi Steve,[p]I upgraded my laptop and no longer have your e-mail. What is it?
  • Banker John
    Options
    banker john,
    never mind... check you inbox

• Banker John
    Options
    Hi Dan,[p]I tried to e-mail you but it bounced back. I would really appreciate your recipe. I'm a little (actually a lot) worried about making this function come off smooth.[p]BankerJohn at tampabay dot rr dot com[p]sorry for the encryption but the last time I posted my e-mail address on this forum (any forum), I was added to every spam message know to the human race. [p]Banker John
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Banker John,
    I bounced too. Try this dtm0919@yahoo.com
    Dan

• banker john,
    I've done the DTM suggested dish a lot and it really is easy...if you can imagine dropping triangle wedges or strips of tortillas into hot oil for a few seconds and piling them on paper towels till you get enough to make the dish and then either sauce is about as simple as making tomatoe sauce for pizza. We attended a very large Mexican wedding recently and they served carnitas (pulled pork would be a good substitute) with rice and beans and tortillas. There was at least that many people attending and the plates were served already prepared at the tables, but I'm sure either of these ideas would be much easier with the "go through the line" method.