Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt. Fat cap up or down

Options
Wino
Wino Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first overnight butt. Got a nice 8 pounder covered in slap yo’ mamma butt rub. Should I put it fat cap up or fat cap down. Also should I use a v rack over a drip pan or just a raised grid over the pan? Looking to put her on around 9 tonight for Sunday dinner. Really looking forward to my first overnight adventure.
Ron

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Wino, done them both ways, each turned out great. Fat on top, self bastes. Fat on bottom, no burning of the meat on the bottom and seasoning is on the meat on top (not the fat.)[p]All-in-all, I actually go against most and put the fat down. But again, yours will be fine either way.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Wino,
    I've always put the fat cap up, but who's to say that's right? Beats me why I do it that way, now that I think of it! LOL. I have used a vrack over a pan as well as a grid over a pan. Both see to work equally well.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Other Dave
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, funny you should mention why you don't know why you alway did it that way. I tried fat down just to break convention. And now I prefer fat down. I wonder what else we "know" is right, but in reality can be improved upon. The doneness of pork recently comes to mind.

• Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    Options
    The Other Dave,
    I think I am going to try fat side down. Some how I might be able to justify it as “lower in fat”. LOL When I pull the pork should I keep the fat cap or pitch it. Generally I am not a big fan of fat or grizzle. Thinking if it is full of flavor I could chop it up so I cannot tell. Looking forward to the first all nighter.
    Ron

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Wino, With this technique, the fat cap has done its job (taken the sear). Pitch it.[p]Let us all know how it turns out for you. We are all learning.

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    Wino,[p]I do fat cap down only for convenience. When I pull the butt off the grill, the fat cap stays, and no meat sticks to the grill. There is enough fat and connective tissue in the meat to make the "basting" point moot, IMO. However, I have friends who swear by the "cap-up" method, so I could very well be wrong.