Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for Venison backstraps?

Options
olemissrn
olemissrn Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I took my first deer of the season, this morning. I took a nice little 6 point. This will my first chance to cook venison(backstraps)on the Egg. Just wondering how the "pros" cook their venison. Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    There might be an idea here.Venison, Backstrap, Olblue

A marinade that can be used with game, poultry, red meat or fish

INGREDIENTS:
    2/3 cup Soy Sauce
    1/3 cup Shao Hsing Wine; dry sherry acceptable substitute
    5 Clove Garlic
    1 Tbs One or all if you have fresh herbs: parsley, mint, oregano, sage., basil
    2 Tbs Black Pepper Corns
    1 Venison roast: backstrap, tenderloin or ham

PROCEDURE:
    1 If frozen, defrost in the refrigerator at least overnight.
    2 For deer, the backstrap or a roast made from the hams are relatively large. If you are using steak cut from the hams, it is likely to be much thinner than a beef steak and it will cook very quickly.
    3 Trim off all fat, bones and as much gristle as possible.
    4 Crush the pepper corns by rolling and pressing them between a cutting board and a heavy pot.
    5 The garlic should be chopped or sliced finely.
    6 The marinade needs to cover the bottom of the pan or dish you use to marinade, it does not need to cover the top of the venison.
    7 Marinade the meat between 6 and 16 hours, turning the meat at least 4 times. Longer than this and the soy sauce flavor will be too strong.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Cook at 350°. The exact temperature is not critical, but less than 300° and the outside will not have an appealing look. Over 400° and you risk having a dry and burned piece of venison.
    2 Do NOT expect to see liquid rise to the top of the uncooked surface of the meat. Venison or other game meats are leaner and often thinner than steak. They will cook much faster than you expect. Turn when the bottom looks like it needs to be turned.
    3 Cook util temperature reaches 140 - 145°.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Some venison "roasts" have more bone and gristle than meat. Find out from the butcher what he calls a roast.
    2 Soy Sauce, Garlic and Shao Hsing wine is a great marinade for salmon, beef, chicken or game.
    3 Herbs: use the herbs you have, experiment, mint is highly recommended.
    4 Lamb: cut the garlic in slivers and stab the meat and insert the garlic.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: olblue hsblue@home.com

Source: BGE Forum, Olblue
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I cooked until 120-125. After that it is too tough

http://www.busterdogbbq.com/blog/?p=1008
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    Hardly a pro, but we do eat a lot of venison.

If it is a whole backstrap you could cut into manageable sections of 6-8 inches or so. I would coat the backstrap with olive oil and a good pepper rub and allow to come to room temp. Grill quickly on a hot fire 2-3 mins per side, stay on the rare side. Serve.

We also save a backstrap for special fondu meals. Sliced thin and cooked in either a broth or oil fondu and eaten with different sauces is excellent. People at the table can cook the meat to their own level of doneness. We also have fish, shrimp, sliced chicken breast, various veggies, and wines, at this same fondu. It takes a while to eat but it's a wonderful social occasion. It's usually our Christmas Eve family time dinner.

Phil
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Cut it into 4" fillets. Then butterfly those so you can fold them open and have 2" thick steaks.

Rub with EVOO, a touch of granulated garlic, some fresh cracked black pepper, and a pinch of celery salt. Let sit overnight in the fridge.

Wrap in a nice slice of bacon secured with a toothpick and then cook over a hot fire of 550-600* direct for a couple minutes per side until it is 125* internal.

Another option is to cut into 2" thick medallions and marinate in red wine and chopped shallots.

Or you can cut into 1" slices and pound them out a little and *gasp* bread and fry them - make a little "chicken fried venison".

Option are endless. I have one hanging in the cooler right now and I am having one of the loins left on the ribs to do a bone-in rack of venison.
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Options
    Fidel has it right. Oh YES!!!!!!
  • olemissrn
    Options
    thanks for the tips. I going to try some this Sunday.