Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flashback tonight

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first. I have been careful up til now, but tried something tonight I hadn't done yet. I was TRexing a ribeye. In the past, I have closed the vents (mostly) and waited patiently while the temp dropped. Tonight, I decided to completely shut down. Ceramic cap on top and closed vent on the bottom. A minute (or less) after I did that, I realized I hadn't added the wood chunks so I opened the dome. Too quickly.

Let's just say I let go of it even more quickly and said bad words. I love the smell of singed hair, don't you? Not bad, just a little on the hand. This is how we learn.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Options
    That's some scary stuff. I've had a few small ones, but not a big one yet. If you didn't lose any eyebrows, I'd say you came out ahead.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Smoked hair, huh? :)
    Careful man!! :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Tarheel Duck Egg
    Options
    CQ,

I TRex'd a couple of NY Strips tonight and thought a lot about flashbacks during the process. I figure that whenever I get to the point I think I've completely figured out how to avoid it - there's a flash in my future. :ohmy:

Happy to hear there were no severe consequences.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    The best part about that is the instant reaction where you swear and realize, "I KNEW better than THAT!".

On the bright side, forearm waxing at a salon costs a fortune! :woohoo: :laugh:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Lil to late fer da wood chunks Mike.... :S

Big fire want air........carefull man. Egg powerful!

My first was kinda cool cause I kinda wondered if it was coming....I made the kids go in the house behind me and burped and opened WOOOOOOOF "PURPLE DONUT" around my head. Not bad though, quick and painless. I learned that when the large sounds like a jet plane.....don't get near it. :ohmy:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I had a bad one early this past spring :woohoo: !!
    I’m a pretty hairy guy with a full beard, pony tail and even eyebrows that my wife says are often out of control.
    I looked noticeable different for a while :whistle: !
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    If you didn't get burnt, the worst part is the smell. Maybe it only smells if the hair around your face gets burnt, but boy! does that stink!

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    Michael- I have learned over time beer cures all! Drink more beer and then try the flashback test-that should help the pain.
  • trlowder
    Options
    I have not experienced yet, but I'm a newbi-egger. I think someone has suggested opening the top vent for a bit before opening the dome?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Buy a Weber. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    trlowder,

Open both vents for about 15 seconds before you open the dome. I have known this for a long time but always forget :huh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Remove the metal top (remember it's setting) and open the dome about an 1" or so. If it's prone to a flashback you will see a nice jet of flame out the top vent. Close the lid and repeat one time.

No more jet of flame - no danger of flashback..