Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-Cook Turkey Question

Options
SoonerChris
SoonerChris Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Because of unforeseen issues out of my control I have to have the turkey done by 11am on Thursday. Has anyone cooked a turkey via the Mad Max method and warmed the next day on the bone?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Chris...How big is your bird?? I would just get up early and start it that day!! (remember Mom getting up at 4 or 5 am to prep the bird...by the time you got up the house already smelled of turkey?? Well, lol, looks like it's your turn now.... :laugh: )
    A reheat is never going to be the same as a fresh cook....IMO.
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    Little Chef wrote:
    Chris...How big is your bird?? I would just get up early and start it that day!! (remember Mom getting up at 4 or 5 am to prep the bird...by the time you got up the house already smelled of turkey?? Well, lol, looks like it's your turn now.... :laugh: )
    A reheat is never going to be the same as a fresh cook....IMO.

18 - 20 lbs. Or could I go the low and slow route and not baste and start about midnight?
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Circumstances permitting, what L.C. said. If pre-cooking is required I personally would take a pic of it and then remove from carcass and reheat in this configuration. Never cared for keeping the meat on the bone after cooking. Just my 2 cents worth. Either way, enjoy the day and get ready for Saturday. There is a thumpin headed your way in Norman. :woohoo:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I just did a 15 pounder unstuffed 350F last weekend 2 1/2 hours. Does your schedule allow that time?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Chris,

IMHO you would be better to cook and carve the day before. Make the gravy too and add a little to the turkey, vacuum seal without letting the vacuum go to full. Reheat in simmering water and it will be as good as fresh cooked.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• if you can't get up super early to do it ...i'd cook it the day before, refrigerate it. .. .transport it. ...slice it at the place you are going to serve it, then reheat it in the gravy. .. .it will be perfectly good then, cause remember, its the gravy that makes it great!
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Have an 18.5 lb turkey and it needs to be ready AND at relatives home by 1:00 PM (30 minutes away). Doing Mad Max for the first time and also first turkey on an egg. Directions look pretty straight forward thanks to Max.

I'll be getting up early.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Chris...Even at 20 lbs it shouldn't take more than 4.5-5 hours.....so long as the temp is maintained at 325*. I always start my egg a bit higher...say 375*....which helps absorb the temp change that will happen with the addition of the bird. Just my opinion....I still say start at around 5 am...pr give yourself some real time to play with...start at 4am and go back to bed till 8...lol. Wish you the best!!!
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. I normally don't use the Guru for that high of a temp, but ow well. And by the way, it won't get basted for the first 3 hrs unless I'm just awake.

Shhh, don't tell Max. :silly:
  • i saw that!!! LOL. ...you'll be ok. ..like LC said. ..one thing you could do is tomorrow night get it all prepped and ready for the egg, butter paste made, stock pot all set up . ...if you trust your stove on a real low flame, you could even get your stock pot going tomorrow night (i've done that before) so that you'll have a good batch of stock for gravy... ...that way, you can get up at 4, start your egg, but you don't have to actually fool around with the bird other than to pull it out of the fridge and apply the ice bag. . .

good luck. ..i'm sure it will be good. ...