Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dry Brine - Too Much Salt?

BluesnBBQBluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited 2:41PM in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone, long time no post. But I'm still Egging.

This year for Thanksgiving I'm doing a 7 lb. turkey breast. I decided to dry brine it instead of using a wet brine.

When I was applying the salt I thought the right amount was 1 tablespoon per pound. It turns out it's 1 tablespoon per 5 pounds. Doh! I used around 7 tablespoons, plus about 4 tablespoons of brown sugar.

Should I rinse some of the rub off? I started it last night, and my plan is to keep it in a container until tomorrow night. Then I'll put it on a rack in the fridge to air dry the skin some.

I'm not too worried because I did a test run this weekend with some cornish game hens. I used 3 tablespoons of salt for about 3 pounds or bird and they didn't turn out too salty. But I would appreciate any advice.
·

Comments

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I would wash it all off and try again. It will be too salty if left that way.

Oh, I hope that was a fresh turkey breast that wasn't already brined.
    ·
  • Yeah, it was a fresh one. Same Kind I've used countless times with a wet brine.
    ·